I'm planning on purchasing a c

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mjohnnie
    (66 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Clip-on sax microphones

wired: audiotechnica pro 35 wireless: AMT Roam elite1 or Samson airline 77 wind instrument mic

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Clip-on sax microphones

If you're going wired, my first choice is the AKG D-409 (it's a dynamic mic and has a superior sound--nice and fat--to their C-419 condenser, but there's nothing wrong with the 419 . . . plus you don't need phantom power for the D-409). The Shure SM-98 is a very road-worthy workhorse, and you can get those in wired and wireless versions. The AudioTechnica 35 capsule (there are different versions of it) is also a good mic . . . AudioTechnica has their own wireless systems that use the 35. Also, the standard Samson Airline system uses the 35 capsule. It's a solid mic, and lots of guys swear by these. I've heard mixed reviews on the Samson Airline system, specifically with the AMT Roam Elite . . . it's an AMT capsule mounted on a Samson Airline transmitter (the best part of the Airline is that you don't need a body pack). I've had a few friends who have had pretty bad luck with these (specifically with range), but on the other hand, if you talk to Tom Scott, he swears by it (of course he has an endorsement, however he told me he recorded his last album using one . . . it was a live album). As far as wireless systems are concerned, you can't beat a good Shure wireless system . . . they're reliable and road-worthy. Of course, you can select any microphone and wireless system you want and have someone wire them for compatibility. I know players who have mixed AKG clip-on mics with Sony wireless units, Beyer Dynamic clip-on mics with Shure wireless units, etc. . . . the possibilities are endless. Your best bet is to try out all the clip-ons you can get your hands on, and select the one with the sound you like best. Shop around for wireless systems that fit your needs (as well as your budget), and realize that your sound will thin-out a bit once you hook up to a wireless unit. Best of luck!

Reply To Post