I've been trying to figure out

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Equipment for an R&B, Rock n' Roll, Jump Blues sound

Get yourself a Berg or a Link STM and a good microphone. You can't compete with an electric band unless you plug in. After that, it's listening, woodshedding and attitude.

Reply To Post

2. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Also try a kessler Custom OL7 pro or OL7 Pro+2. Big sound without a lot of work

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

The way to learn how to play loud is to play loud. Take lots of mouthpiece and blow really hard. Do you know how to growl? Maybe a better mouthpiece might help, a Berg or a Link (I'd say a New York over an STM). Maybe a Dukoff is what you're looking for, though. Try a couple out.

Reply To Post

4. by irvkms
    (16 posts)

17 years ago

Don't forget to try a Runyon, the plastic one with a removable spoiler. Also, some of the players in the styla you mention played very open pieces, 120-135 range.

Reply To Post

5. by dskey
    (9 posts)

17 years ago

Bundy II with Hite rubber?! Good lord! Get a mouthpiece with a spoiler or a Dukoff or some such nasty metal piece, get a plastic read, learn to growl and flutter tongue and then blow your ass off. Also, transcribe some of your favorite solos and really work on emulating the style as well as the notes. Good luck!

Reply To Post

6. by nbaguy1
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

Yes, you need to growl (hum and blow simultaneously); for me it works best to hum a lower note than one you're playing. I've tried every mouthpiece/reed combo known to man; but found success with this: a Metal Killer custom mouthpiece from Jarycustom.com and Fibracell reeds. Very powerful and nasty sound; not "raunchy" like a Runyon, but loud and nasty.

Reply To Post