I have a gold plated Selmer te

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Looking to sell my father's tenor sax

Gold plating kind of went out of style in the 1930's, although it might even still be an option with Selmer. Of course a shiny lacquered brass sax might be mistaken for gold plate. If you see silver under the gold in worn places, it might actually be gold plate. When you get the serial number you can scheck it's vintage on the Selmer website : www.selmer.com I would guess this is going to be a Super Sax or Cigar Cutter from the late 1920's or early 1930's, In nice shape these bring maybe $1000 - $1500. If it's a later horn, it might be worth more. If it turns out to be a late 1940's to early 1960's Paris Selmer, it could be far more valuable.

Reply To Post

1. by MIJ
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Looking to sell my father's tenor sax

Hi Donnie The B, I have not had a chance to make it to Rochester, NY. However, I serious believe that this horn is a Paris Selmer from the late 40's or early 50s. My father loved this horn. I remember one night after playing a gig (which they called it back in the day) and loading the station wagon, my father's horn got left on the curb. He cried like a baby. Fortunately, it was found and returned in a few days after my father posted a reward. I would like to sell it to a real jazz sax player. My son and only child played Suszki violin at age 4 through high school. Thank you for responding. I'll keep you posted.

Reply To Post