I have been renting an alto sa

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Alto Sax from Ebay

Luanne- The key thing here is to avoid being ripped off - in any fashion. If your daughter has a private teacher you might feel like trusting him to help in your horn search. Or the teacher at school may know of a good deal on a lightly used sax. If you want to try eBay, be sure to refer to the forum in here titled Jim's List of Approved Brands in the High School section. There is lots of advice in this discussion. The main piece of advice is: do not try to save too much money. It's unusual to find a decent horn for less than $500. Try to find a brand on the approved list. Read as much as you can in here about brands --- there is plenty of discussion. Yamaha YAS-52 and even YAS-62 saxes in lightly used condition are available frequently for less than $1000, sometimes far less. YAS-23 beginner models are maybe $300-$500 in lightly used shape. Not much need to buy a cheap Chinese horn. 7th grade is when I was lucky enough to get a pro-line sax --- a 1961 Selmer Mark VI tenor. This horn has served me well for 45 years. If I had gotten a cheap eBay horn - or the like - I may have never had my own bands or even kept playing all these years. Something to consider. If you have access to a large music store, you might have your daughter take her own mouthpiece, reeds and cleaning supplies to try a buch of horns before buying, if you think she plays well enough to be discerning. Or take a musician with you. They can be found. I'd go play a bunch of different saxes and give my opinion to help a student if I had time that week. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by karenballen7
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Hey, Luanne, I have a Yamaha YAS 23. Which is a student sax. I purchased it from a family that had it for their son & he didn't like playing. I only bought it to see if I could still play before I took the plunge and bought a really expensive sax at the ripe old age of 47.. I am looking to sell, I think it's a decent instrument. It has a few use marks, mostly near the thumb rest. For a high school student it would be a good choice. I'd like to get around $200. for the instrument + shipping. I'm in Central PA, my camera isn't avail. right now, but I'd be glad to send you a pic in a couple of days. My e-mail is: [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

17 years ago

If you're buying a student horn on ebay, a yamaha ( made in japan ) is by far the safest bet. there are other adequate brands out there but you need to have a bit of knowledge ( ie, in what country was a particular vintage made, USA or china etc ) in order to eliminate the dogs and rip-offs.

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

17 years ago

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't recommend any horn from an ebay annonomous source. YAS-23 or otherwise. It could arrive needing hundreds of dollars of work to be suitable. Some problems would not be apparent to those who were not experienced.

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

17 years ago

NEVER BUY AN INSTRUMENT FROM EBAY!!!!!! I would never suggest buying from ebay because you cannot try the horn out for yourself to see if you like it. If you're looking for a new or used horn, go to a local shop and try horns for yourself.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

17 years ago

What is all this paranoia about buying on eBay? I've been buying on eBay for years and never had a problem worse than something taking longer to arrive than expected. It's certainly true that buying any musical instrument without actually playing it entails a certain amount of risk, but it's also true that smart and patient eBay shopping can save you a *lot* of money. Definitely don't buy from someone who doesn't have a track record (i.e., look for positive feedback from at least 50 customers), and don't be sucked into bidding more than you originally intended to pay, but if you really know what you want you shouldn't be afraid to take advantage of a great resource...

Reply To Post

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
          (141 posts)

17 years ago

eBay can be a goldmine for musical equipment, provided you know how to use it . . . Personally, I have not had any problems purchasing gear on eBay over the past eight years, which includes my Mark VI tenor (it happens to be a rockin' horn, and I got a screamin' deal on it too). Plenty of my musical colleagues have benefitted from shopping on eBay . . . one of them recently picked up a fantastic pair of R-13 clarinets . . . another regularly buys and sells electric basses, simply because he gets bored with the ones he has (he's been doing that for years and has never had a problem) . . . another buys all his rack-mountable gear there . . . you get the picture. I'm not saying that there aren't any eBay horror stories, but if you shop wisely there, you can score some great deals.

Reply To Post

2. by dskey
        (9 posts)

17 years ago

I have bought and sold horns on Ebay without any problem. If you are nervous about Ebay, I would suggest buying from one of the well-established Ebay 'stores' - that way you can check their feedback and a lot of them have a reasonable return policy if the horn isn't what you expected. I agree with the suggestion to get your daughter a Yamaha student horn - by far the best choice. Also, a pat on the back to you for encouraging your daughter's involvement in music!

Reply To Post

1. by Christian Anderson
          (73 posts)

17 years ago

I too have had great experiences on eBay. If you live in a large city craigslist usually has really good deals, and you can try out horns in that situation as well.

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
            (103 posts)

17 years ago

See, the thing is that you don't have a chance to try out fhe horn before you buy it if you get it off of ebay. I've been taught that if you want to get a new horn, try it out for yourself or have you teacher try it out before you buy it. When you buy off of ebay, the only way you can try it before you buy it is if the seller lives close to you and you agree to meet. Of course the off brands are not good, but someone could have made a cheap fix to a mark IV or a used yamaha and lie to your face in the description. it's just like buying a car, accept I don't know if there are history reports for saxes. bottom line, you need to see it and play test it yourself before you purchace any instrument, be it a sax or anything else.

Reply To Post Yahoo!