Saxophone Forum

by Vtsaxman
(4 posts)
16 years ago

Mouthpiece for Bari

I'm looking for a mouth piece that plays well in the lower register and low A. I've just started working the bari into the band, I've been playing tenor only and I find that I can get the notes to speak, on the bari, but have a hard time holding the long notes without them breaking up. I've got a Selmer low A bari. I'm mostly playing in a live rock set up. What is the difference between large and small volume in playing and sound? I double on a tenor, so it would be nice to find a mouthpiece that has a similar size and feel in the mouth. Thanks for any help you could offer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece for Bari

berg larson's are good

Reply To Post

2. by irvkms
    (16 posts)

16 years ago

I have found 2 mpcs work well for me. The plastic Rico metalite, real cheap but now hard to find. The best I have found is a SR Tech Pro model. Very expensive, open about 115 or 118 but works equally well on my vintage King Zephyr and Selmer SSA 80 low A with Alexander Superial 2.5 reeds.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

16 years ago

I use an E. Rousseau Classic 5R on bari. It suits both legit and jazz quite well. For me, low A's are not a problem, and altissimo is actually quite easy, given that it's a bari.

Reply To Post

1. by Vtsaxman
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks, I'll look around for one and give it a try. What reeds do you like? I play in a rock/alt. band. I've just been using Rico Royals. I've heard good things about the Java's by Vanduren.. (sp)

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

16 years ago

I use Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3H reeds. They pretty much rock in all of my playing situations.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

alexander DCs are great

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

check out the Phil Barone pieces. Theyr'e kind of pricey, but they really are an awesome piece.

Reply To Post