Saxophone Forum

by cyber75sax
(33 posts)
20 years ago

Cases

I recently bought a Walt Johnson case for my alto, and my only complaint is a lack of space for any additional accessories (metronome, tuner, etc.) While a cover for the case fixed this problem, I'd rather not have to use it if I can help it. I'm going to be buying a case for my tenor very soon. Should I be concerned with a lack of space in the WJ case and go with a Selmer Flight case instead?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Cases

Should have gone with the selmer case. The Selmer flight case is made by hiscox and is stronger than the walt johnson. I have a case cover for my vanguard, but i never put anything in it, I dont want anything getting broken if it gets bumped, I have the cover to protect the case. As far as I know, the flight case is the only one with a junk compartment of big enough size. A friend of mine has another hiscox, and the compartment in there isnt big enough, the neck has to go in the bell as well as whatever else will fit cause the reeds and strap and greas take up most of the space.

Reply To Post

1. by cyber75sax
      (33 posts)

20 years ago

I have no problem storing the neck and mouthpiece in the bell, as long as there's room in the case for my strap, reeds, etc. Is your friend's case a tenor?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Oh, hers is an alto, I thought yours was for alto too.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

Man, i love my walt johnson! it's hella strong, and way compact, and really has plenty of sotage(although i did get a cavalero cover and neck pouch) just to give you an idea, here's what i have in my case now: a tuner a metronome 2 boxes of reeds earplugs a wrench(for key adjustments) 2 mouthpieces neckstrap obviously the sax. i'm also using the covers pouch to store 2 more boxes of reeds, a reed case, swabs, drumsticks, pens/pencils, and a lyre

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, I keep a lot of stuff in my alto cover, too. But I'd prefer not having to get a cover in the first place. See, the loops for the shoulder strap don't look very strong. I'd hate for them to rip as I'm walking to a gig.

Reply To Post

3. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i was concerned about that too, so i actually sewed some safety stiches in. no problems so far.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've got the same case setup and keep the swab and all that junk in the cavallero cover without too much problem. I won't keep mouthpieces on the outside, so I'm limited to carrying two around with me.

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
        (33 posts)

20 years ago

No, man. I have a Walt Johnson alto case already. I'm looking for something for my VI I just bought.

Reply To Post

3. by PIP
        (29 posts)

20 years ago

Has anybody ever heard of a casemaker called gator??????

Reply To Post

4. by woodySB
        (1 post)

20 years ago

Yes. I have a Gator case for my alto and LOVE it. As a matter of fact , I just ordered one for my tenor as well. These things are very similar, if not exact, to the light weight Pro-Tec cases. I would recomend getting one. There is plent of room for other stuff inside. AND you don't have to put the neck inside of the bell. It has a little sopt for it like a regular case.

Reply To Post