Saxophone Forum

by DrDoom
(1 post)
16 years ago

New to the Forum

Greetings to all sax lovers! I'm new to the forum, a 56 yr old music lover that has recently started taking tenor sax lessons after a very long hiatus from my high school days as a clarinet player. I own a B&G Series 600 (German-made) Tenor Sax purchased in Europe in 2002, a Chinese made Alto Sax (Gold Star) that I picked up for very little money (sax technician said it was one of the better Chinese made models) and recently purchased a Buescher True-Tone saxophone built in 1914. The Buescher model blows very nice, easy up and down the registers, but I really can't tell by the research I've done whether its a alto, tenor or something else. The neck diameter is like alto sax neck where it fits the body, but the neck is curved like a tenor's, not straight. Also, the length of the sax seems to be maybe 1 inch or so longer than the Alto, but much smaller than my tenor. And the serial number has five digits, starting with 9xxxxx. If any one of you experts out there can help me figure out what it is, I would appreciate the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: New to the Forum

I would presume that you are the proud owner of a C melody saxophone. The C melodys were pitched in, yes , C. The production of these horns ended in the 30,s I believe..for various reasons..but you can read piano sheet music with no trans position. Thet\y're kind of goofy to play..shades of Rudy weis..whatever..but they can be a bit of fun..enjoy..

Reply To Post

2. by ddon51
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Dr.Doom, I've played alto, and baritone sax Jr. High and High School. Played alto again in college, After that played tenor sax and some Soprano. I'm close to your age 51yrs. I own serveral saxes which all are Selmer'. I'm not an expert, but sounds like the sax you own is call a C melody Sax. which is rare. Sincerely, [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by ddon51
      (3 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

Actually, the C Melodys are not all that rare, and the value seems to but whatever some one is willing to pay you for the horn. These instruments are considered obsolete and to my knowledge have not attained the status of collectors items

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

and I can't remember Rudy's last name..Weis.something..he was considered a wizard on the C Melody...a few years ago.

Reply To Post

2. by ddon51
        (3 posts)

16 years ago

Hi everyone, Is there anyone out there that could tell me when the first C melody sax's were made?( date) and the very last year of production. What are some of the brand name's of these sax's? What is the value of a C melody in excellent condition?

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

This website gives some excellent information and links on the subject of C Melody saxes. cmelodysax.co.uk/cblog John

Reply To Post