Saxophone Forum

by jazzcat522
(21 posts)
14 years ago

advise on choosing a MEYER mouthpiece

hello everybody, i was trying to see if anybody could give me some advise as to which size to get on a meyer mouthpiece i was looking into getting a 6m but i see that many lean towards the 5m...this mouthpiece will be for my alto(super action 80). i currently play on a claude lakey 6*3 and like the tone i get with vandoren v16 2 1/5 reeds... i play with a horn section consisting of 2 trumpets and a trombone...im trying to increase my volume and get a bit more edge to my sound. which one would you guys recommend? other than the lakey and my c* i have not have not had any experience with another mouthpiece btw..not sure if this piece of info will help but i play a 7m MEYER on my tenor also which lig would you recommend?? im looking into getting the OLEG for this mouthpice or rovner thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: advise on choosing a MEYER mouthpiece

I have an old Meyer 6M for my Mark Vl alto. It has plenty of edge and is really loud. I bought a new meyer 6M from this site that was hand picked and worked on by their mouthpiece guy. It doesn't have the stuff the old mouthpiece has. I would reccomend a Jody DV metal piece if you need edge and want to be loud.
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzcat522
      (21 posts)

14 years ago

i just bought a Meyer 6m to satisfy my curiosity and i must say i cant really tell a significant difference from my c*. What i did notice is that i can hit the altisimo and lower register with more ease and the mpc does not fight/resist me when i do so, i was also able to notice the freeblowing. i tested the meyer with v16 2.5 and 3 size reeds. should i consider other reeds for this mpc? also while i was at the store i did see the jody dv and became interested in it, almost bought it!=) but wanted to try the meyer before i did. After trying the meyer and before i try the jody im searching for something that could be as loud and agressive/edgy as the claude lakey 6*3 HR. I like the projection and edgy sound i get from the lakey ...any suggestions??? thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

From what I read the old Meyers are very expensive!! My old Meyer 6* alto mouthpiece is really great and does what I want when playing jazz and funk. I use 2m rico jazz reeds. I buy them by the box of 10. In the 10 roughly half of them work. If I had to replace my old piece I wouldn't spend the $800. or so to buy another old meyers!! The Jody DV is expensive, but it's on my list of what to try if I need a replacement..........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

ahh thats right, i have heard that the old meyer mpc differ from the ones made in the recent years(in sound and price). Dont get me wrong the meyer sounds nice(the one i purchased, not a vintage, one of the recent made mpc) and allows me to do what i want but im still looking for a certain sound, and thanks to this new store i went to i might get to try the jody jazz dv before i buy it! XD the owner told me that if i do try the meyer 6m that the jody jazz would feel similar (to a certain point, but ofcourse sound different as well as be more consistent all around) so im still excited from my new purchase and am hoping that it will in a way prepare me for when ever i do get ahold of a jody dv mpc ...when ever i do, ill be sure to report back with my experience! btw the owner did say that 8 out 10 people that try the jody mpc will end up buying it and or come back in the future to purchase another one! so i cant wait to try one!=D Thanks for your info Kelsey!=)

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

You need more edge than your Lakey can provide? Don't you know there are people trying to sleep in Europe?? But seriously, I don't think a Meyer is going to provide you with more edge or volume. Maybe have a talk with the group about balance and dynamics, or if you're using a P.A., turn your mic. up.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

Your right the lakey is LOUD! Lol …..and im not necessarily looking for more volume/projection (as the lakey provides enough) im actually looking for an alternative, I wanted to see if there was something else that would work for me in the same way….just wanted to know that I was not missing out on something. Any who I went back to the store where I bought my meyer mpc with more time to test out their selection of mpc. I was excited because I had read/heard many good things about the mpc they had there. The mpc that I test were as follows (they were all for alto sax, all were metal, and all were a size 7): Otto Link Metal Alto, Beechler Metal BELLITE, Jody Jazz Esp, Jody Jazz DV. All mouthpieces were tested with a Rovner dark ligature, except for the otto link which I tested with the ligature that it comes with. All mouthpieces were tested on my selmer super action series 80. On vandoren v16 sizes 2,2.5, and 3 reeds. Also keep in mind that the sound im going for in my alto is a bright, “big band” type sound, kind of funk-ish and as if the sax is barking. Where as my Tenor I like to sound more like that of traditional jazz tenors, with a big and thick dark sound. And I am comparing these mouthpieces to those that I have tried which are as follow: selmer C*, Lakey 6*3 HR, Meyer 6m HR, and an old Selmer metal mpc(I don’t have any more info on it because it was a gift and I got it ages ago when I was learning to play the sax in 5th grade, however I did not like this mouthpiece so much). With that in mind…..these were my findings: Otto Link Metal: I got a darker sound than that of the beechler however I did not like this mpc from the moment I tried it. This mpc had a teeth guard cushion that was added on(im assuming it was used and the previous put it on) I am thinking that the teeth guard hindered me from getting an accurate interpretation of what this mpc is supposed to sound like. I had a similar experience with a mpc ages ago when I was learning how to play the sax I put a teeth guard and did not like it could not get a sound out of the mpc…so im guessing that was case with this mpc. Beechler Metal BELLITE: this mpc was bright, very bright (I would say a bit too much, but if you really want bright then this is it), no low end to the sound, no body/meat just top end and bright. Jody Jazz Esp metal: this mpc had a nice warm distinct sound to it, it was noticeably darker than the beechler, but it did have body to it the low end was still there and present (this was with the spoiler on). With out the spoiler the sound got even darker (too dark for me, at least what I was trying to go for). Jody Jazz DV metal: this mpc was my favorite out of all them. It was a bright as the beechler I would say just a tad bit less and it had a certain edge/bite to it, the mouthpiece is very articulate and aggressive in its attacks, if you want staccato then that what you get if you don’t then it is subtle. It was bright but had plenty of low end to it and altissimo was a breeze and strong. The only problem I had with this mpc is that it is smaller than anything I have tried in alto mpc even to all the ones that I tried that day so I got many squeaks but that was easily fixed by tightening my embouchure, this also effected the way I was doing bends I did not have to drop my jaw so much. I guess it’s safe to say the mpc was made to accurately reproduce what your thinking. The sound was very consistent in the lower and high ranges. Very nice! In conclusion: if you are looking for metal mpc that bright but do not want to loose the low end and body of your sound then Dv is it. You get all the perks with out the side effects of metal. The Esp was also nice and I think if you want your alto to sound more like that of traditional jazz then that might suit you especially if you do lead work and ensemble the spoiler lets you brighten or darken your sound in an instant. I do a lot of more contemporary lead work on my alto and need to stand out so the DV will work for me. However I don’t think I will be getting rid of my lakey I guess you can say that I have acquired a taste for it. The reason why I had strayed away from metal mouthpieces is because I would loose all the low end and body/meat the core sound and would get a thin sound out of them but the Jody Dv really is different plenty of low end to satisfy those who want a bright but with a big full sound, oh and it can be loud if you want it to be. So I think I have found my next mouthpiece!=)

Reply To Post

4. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

oh and i should say that the reason why im venturing away from the lakey or trying something new is because the intonation with that mouthpiece is a little unstable and i felt that the jody jazz dv was more consistent and had a distinct edge to it that i like and have not experience(heard)from another mouthpiece yet hope this info helps some body -Jazz Cat

Reply To Post

5. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

Lots of players like the DV and Jody makes a consistently fine product- sounds like you're steering a good course there. I have to admit to having a Lakey myself, although I had to do some serious surgery on it to make it manageable (unstable intonation indeed). I can get noise complaints from the neighbors anytime I want.

Reply To Post