Saxophone Forum

by luckyford
(5 posts)
12 years ago

tenor sax

Anyone know info on selmer tenor sax ltd selmer artis?

thanks where made selmer usa

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: tenor sax

More information needed.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

12 years ago

Selmer Artist Limited is made in Taiwan. Its billed as a bridge to fill the gap between the Selmer student model saxophone and the Selmer Paris professional saxophone. In otherwords an intermediate model saxophone.

While not necessarily a bad saxophone, its about as good/bad as any other moderately priced intermediate saxophone that came out of Taiwan in the early 2000's. However, the resell is rotten. So, if you buy this horn, be sure to buy used and make sure you're getting a good deal on it. The value of this horn will depend a lot on the quality of the pads and set up/regulation. I've never cared much for the alto and tenor. However, the bari was a respectable saxophone.

Best of Luck!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by luckyford
        (5 posts)

12 years ago

Thanks a lot that helps i have a tenor and like it thats what i was lookin for a step up so it is a Selmer? I seen one before in a reputable music store so thats why i bought it. I thought i got a fair deal on it and it is in excellent shape its a step up from an old bundy for me.

Theron

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

12 years ago

Congratulations on your new saxophone. It definitely is a Selmer, but not to be confused with Selmer Paris. You have a good Taiwanese made saxophone and nothing should be taken away from that. Its just confusing with the dual Selmer name in the USA and in Paris. Selmer USA (which is now a division of Steinway called Conn-Selmer) has nothing to do with Selmer Paris except for having the sole distribution rights for Selmer Paris horns in the United States. Selmer Paris is still operated and controled by the Selmer family in Paris.

Its confusing because Selmer USA will have saxophones made in Taiwan and then stamp a Selmer name on them such as Selmer USA, Selmer AS100, Selmer Artist, etc..... while at the same time import and distribute saxophones that come from Paris that are stamped Selmer Paris. The unsuspecting customer may thing they are buying a saxophone made in Paris when they buy a Selmer Artist or what not without fully understanding that Selmer Paris has nothing to do with it what-so-ever. 

The same was the case back in the day when Selmer started making the Selmer Bundy. Only the Selmer Bundy was actually made in Elkhart at the north main street Selmer factory not imported. But that saxophone was marketed as a student line saxophone through and through. Now, with Selmer Artist I've even seen some dealers advertise them as professional model Selmers and that's where things really get confusing.......... especially with a model name like "Artist Limited". So long as they are advertised honestly and priced accordingly, there should be no problem. For example, I think the store you purcahsed it from should have been more than forthcoming about this being a saxophone manufactured in Taiwan. It should be a point stated with pride because Taiwan is making some great saxophones today.

That all being said, it is definitely a step up from your old Bundy and I wish you the best if your saxophone studies.

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by luckyford
          (5 posts)

12 years ago

Whats it's worth I seen one in a store for a lot of bread and I do know the diff in selmer paris Henri etc.  My old Bundy played well I have a great shop to take it to in Tulsa Mcguire music! I paid 950.00 for it. the ltd artist in nickel or silver plating with gold keys is that correct? Oh by the way what about mark 6 tenors engrave with a rose and some with a Fleur-de-lis is the latter made an engraved an brought over from france and the rose engraved and paired to necks in the states?

Thanks Theron

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by GFC
          (842 posts)

12 years ago

$950 sounds pretty decent for a new horn of that calibre.  Enjoy.

Reply To Post