Saxophone Forum

by jon henri
(19 posts)
11 years ago

quiet

so has anybody figured out how to play sax quietly ?, hand towel over sax- not working, low strength reed- ehhh not really. carbon fiber reed? open for ideas and suggestions. this conn has some big sound. or even differant type of sax, maybe a soprano? cant remember what a soprano sounds like.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: quiet

I don't understand the question. Are you asking about trying to find a way to quite the horn down when practicing (like a saxophone mute) or are you just talking about playing softly. If you're talking about just playing softly, this can be challenging for beginners. But once you learn good embouchure and proper diaphragm support you should have no troubles.

A vintage Conn tenor can have a huge sound when you put a lot of air through it. But its also one of the most free blowing ans expressive horns available.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by jon henri
      (19 posts)

11 years ago

thanks for your reply. i live in a condo around retired people, so their not really diggin me jammin on the sax or tryin, in the beginning we all sound our worst haha.. and i can appreciate that, i wouldn't want to listen to it either. yeah.. so i am looking for a way to quiet it down, but a mute doesn't really do the job, or shoving a hand towel in it. so my question was.. how to bring the volume down, but i think you answered my question, thanks. developing the muscles to create a good embochure is challenging, ecspecially since im 52 years old, this is the only thing that's going to slow down my  progress on the instrument. any tips you may have on developing a embochure would also be greatly appreciated. i bought #3 strength reeds to start with and that might of been a mistake, ordered other strengths of reeds, then i saw these carbon fiber reeds and am curious about those, particulary the lowest strength.
      again thanks Mark

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

Its not cheap, but this is the answer to needing to practice in an apartment. This is a sax mute that basically works like a case with hand holes. The idea is that you can play at full volume but the sound is isolated and insolated. It also comes with a set of headphones so you can hear yourself. Below is a link to the product manufacture where you can see what I'm talking about. If you're interested, Saxquest carries these. Feel free to give us a call if you want more information.

http://www.morizono.co.jp/BEST%20BRASS%20e-Sax.htm

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

11 years ago

I would move...........:-)

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

11 years ago

http://www.nationofmusic.com/?action=products&catId=75&parentId=8&sitecode=sgoods

STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

Steve-

Cool idea. Do you have any videos of guys using these? How muted does the sound get? Could you blow at full vloume in an appartment and get away with it?

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

4. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

Sorry, dumb question. I just went one more click in and checked out your videos. Everyone should check this out! I would say at least a 50% decrease in overall volume and a serious stifling of the lower frequencies. Nice going Steve!!

It may not work out for everyone, depending on your situation, but it should definitely help. The key is to be able to practice blowing like you do on the gig. Trying to whisper through your horn while practicing is just bad bad bad for your embouchure and sound! This mute is a good idea!

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

5. by jon henri
          (19 posts)

11 years ago

i found these mutes on amazon and the didn't have that great of reveiws, because sound comes out the note holes on the sax. one person commented a hand towel works just as good

Reply To Post

6. by peter090
          (155 posts)

11 years ago

Some things I've found fairly successful are to put a coat around the horn and put your arms through the sleeves backwards to get to the keys (sort of like the sax is wearing the coat) With a bulky coat this will cut the sound down a lot but can be  uncomforatbly warm for a long session.

Another thing that works is to practice in the doorway of a closet with the horn in between some heavy clothes. It's really the same idea. You are surrounding the instrument with something to absorb the sound. 

It would be a mistake in my opinion to try to make the horn play quieter by changing your equipment. To develop as a player you need to use the gear you intend to play with and play with a full sound and proper breath support.

Reply To Post

7. by jon henri
          (19 posts)

11 years ago

yaa your right. ill just have to find a place to take the sax where i can play as intended. 
          thanks you all.. 

Reply To Post