Saxophone Forum

by deric
(2 posts)
10 years ago

What sax to get

I'm totally new to sax playing although I did play trumpet for a few years.  I'm an older guy so if I never get beyond playing along with the radio at night that's okay. Do I want a tenor or alto?  I'll probably go used to save on money.  I've read about being able to tune the sax.  Is that just in a minor way to get close to concert pitch?  Thanks for the advice.  Deric

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

Re: What sax to get

Deric, it's usually easier to start playing on alto sax. I personally like the Yamaha line. I feel they are the best among the modern begginers saxophones. I would reccomend the Yamaha YAS model. These can be had used (check out craigs list) for around $500.00 or perhads a little more. Also, to save you time, I would ask around about finding a sax teacher.  Good luck......~) 

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by deric
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Another question.  I see some are silver and some are brass.  Is there a significant quality of sound difference?  Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

10 years ago

Get a plain laquered YAS 23.......a great student alto. At this point in your sax playing career economy is probably the most important factor.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM