Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Metal Tenor Berg Larsen Mouthpiece

I currently own a metal tenor berg larsen mouthpiece. when i use it with my conn 16m, it is hard to play. i paid around $150.00 for it and i wonder if it is the horn, the mouthpiece, or my inexperience with metal jazz mouthpieces. what kind of mouthpieces do u use?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by South Florida Sax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Metal Tenor Berg Larsen Mouthpiece

Anybody try the duckbill? what are the pros and cons? I'm now playing on a 130/0 M on a Conn 10M that I just bought and I plan to back off the volume with a smaller tip opening, may consider the duckbill.

Reply To Post

2. by tenortunes
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

you didn't say what model Berg Larsen I bought a metal one a couple of years ago. I played Dukof (too bright) and Otto Link (not bright enough) So I thought A Berg would work The one I got has round tone chamber(2) and an M facing. I don't like it at all it's dead Maybe it's the one I got or me but what ever it is this mouthpiece had no life. So now it sits in the draw with the other tried and failed mpcs. I like the otto Link but I wanted something a little less stuffy so I just bought a PeterPonzol II V I metal it seems like the one. You can send away for several mpc from wwbw to try if you don't like them send them back. Have fun

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Berg larsen and Otto Link mpcs today are both mass produced today, and have little to no personal attention are not hand finished. Hence, the product you get is ot as good as it could be, for lots of reasons, (table isnt flat, rails are uneven, facing curve doesnt match the stamped size, rails are to thick, etc) If you send your peices to a mpc refacer like Doc Tenny, Theo Wayne, Johannes Gerber, MojoBari, etc, they will fnish them up for you and bring the full potential out of them. They can also do things like add more/less baffle to bring out the sound you want. Would you be willing to sell or trade any of your tried and failed mpcs? email me what you have available if you want, [email protected] I might be intrested

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by South Florida Sax
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

Have you heard of any common reed choices for Berg's? I used to play an 130/0 M with La Voz reeds and ditched it in favor of a Dukoff D chamber with same reeds. I like the Dukoff's tone better but it has less control. A dealer recently told me that VanDoren was a better match for Berg pieces. Have you heard any such thing? Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

Can you be more specific about the model and what problems you are having. I played a short facing SMS for many years and liked the sound and power but it was very tempramental. I found I really had to work reeds on it. Eventually I decided it wasn't worth the bother and switched to a more forgiving but slightly less punchy piece.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

Hi again, sorry I haven't responded to this discussion lately. I currently have a Berg Larsen 2 M 105 Metal Tenor Mouthpiece that I use with an Enduro plastic reed. The combo sounds excellent! Despite the opinions on the mouthpiece, it is still a great piece. What does it mean when it says 105 on the mp? Does that have to do with the measurement of the face opening? What is the difference in an open tip opening and a closed tip opening? Thanks for being patient, -Josh

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

Bergs give three chunks of information tip opening, baffle size, and the length of the facing. 105 is the tip opening M is their regular length facing and the baffles go from 0 (highest) to 3 (lowest) and 3's are relatively uncommon so you have the darker berg baffle. Most of the Berg players I've met play between a 95 and 130 opening and a 1 or 2 facing so yours is pretty middle of the road.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

Do you like the Berg Larsen Metal Mouthpieces?

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
            (155 posts)

19 years ago

They have their own sound and to me seem to always have a little grit. I played a metal berg for years and liked it. I didn't think the sound was as even across the range of the horn as some other mouthpieces but overall I think they are probably as good as anything else to get you to a point where you have some real specific idea of what you need.

Reply To Post