Saxophone Forum

by jet582
(2 posts)
19 years ago

New Sax

Hey guys. I just bought a sax for my fiancee for Christmas (kinda early, I know, but I was getting it off of e-bay and wanted to be sure I got a good one). He really liked how the Monique sax's looked, so I ended up buying one of those for him. Does anyone know anything about this type of sax? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by hunkymonkey
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: New Sax

I just bought a monique alto and I love it. I'm experienced enough to know what a good sax is--I played all the way through junior high, high school, and college, and even did a little pro work. I haven't personally tried a wide array of saxophones. I started on a Yamaha YAS-23 and later moved up to a YAS-52. I've also tried out friends' horns as they got them--Selmer Super Action 80, Buffet, even a Bundy II (yeah, I know, that's a piece of crap student horn). I liked the super action 80, but it seemed really plain vanilla--no personality at all, a good overall, do-everything horn. The buffet is great. That's my sister's horn, and it sings beautifully. Of course the Bundy sounded as bad as it looked. I'd never heard of or tried a Monique before I bought it, but it's better than my YAS-52! The intonation is perfect. When I got it, I wasn't so sure--some of the notes were really hard to hit, so I got out my Yamaha to compare and realized I was just out of practice. After playing them both for a while I found that the Monique was more accurate pitch-wise than my Yamaha. The keys feel about the same. The reason I bought the Monique was that I've always wanted a silver-plated saxophone, and here I was able to get the saxophone of my dreams for not very much money. And it's turned out to be just that. It's a beautiful instrument. The silver plate gives it a slightly brighter tone than my YAS-52, but it's also heavier, so it's really not that much different. I've heard a lot of people talk trash about the Monique. It took me three mouthpieces and 4 reeds to find the right combination, but once I found it, I was in love. So don't judge it too quickly. And if you're interested in my comparison on the other horns, I'd say I'd put the super action 80 above my YAS-52, but only for the reason that my YAS-52 has a high A that's ever so slightly sharp, and the Selmer didn't. So I'd put Monique first on my list, then the Selmer, then the Yamaha. (Not enough experience to tell about the Buffet, and I would never buy a Bundy, even for a student!) Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by DotingDad
    (1 post)

19 years ago

I know nothing about saxophones (other than I love the sound). I have an eleven year old girl just starting out- any recommendations on a light, economical alto- easy to work keys would be a plus (the fingers are a little on the stubby side)? Doting Dad

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't recall rather I've ever played a Monique or not actually. I've played just about everything at one time or another. The only 2 Asian horns I've played that I have had anything GOOD to say about are the Yamahas and the Yanigasawas, and while they're both well made horns, I didn't particularly like the sound. Some of these cheaper horns have very poor quality metal. The brass is very soft, dents easily, and keys break. Often some of these cheaper horns are heavily laquered. The extra laquer makes the horns look nice and helps prevent oxidation and corrosion (The cheaper metal tends to corrode faster). The laquer will deaden the sound though also. From everything I've heard about Monique, they're better than some of the others. I have played Winstons and I thought they were a very nice sax for the money. I'm sure you have a certain budget to work with. We all do. If I could afford to buy any new horn that I wanted, I'd buy a Keilwerth SX90. It's really easy for the people of this forum to suggest paying considerably more money for a horn when they're not paying the bill! I'm sure your fiancee will LOVE the Monique if for no other reason than the fact that it is a gift from you! If my girlfriend bought me a sax for Christmas, I'd be happy no matter what it was. Best of Luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, just to clarify, I said "The only 2 Asian horns I've played that I have had anything GOOD to say about are the Yamahas and the Yanigasawas". What I meant was that the only 2 Asian horns I've played that I really liked were the Yamahas and the Yanigasawas. I thought they played very well and were, for the most part, a well made instrument. I have played a few other Asian made saxes that I thought were a good value for the money.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

lol. sureeee these are great saxophones i mean u must of paid 400$ for it which is expensive. i would rather make a saxophone of a empty soda can than to buy a monique

Reply To Post

1. by jet582
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

There's no need to be sarcastic...I simply wanted to know what other people thought. If you don't like the brand, that's fine, you only need to say that, not be mean.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

Correct. you have a monique, there not what I would suggest, but you have one and should enjoy it. We will be glad to help you. If it's mouthpiece isn't to your liking, I'd suggest something like a Runyon 88. They're inexpensive, have a nice-pure tone, and Runyon has a good reputation for manufacture.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

stay away from moniques!! u must have bought it from dominics music section in ebay..they are made of cheap materials and are poorly crafted in china. the whole instrument will fall apart soon enough and the tone and intonation are not great. monique saxes are not ones to be dealing with...i hope you find luck in some other sax though. if its not too late try looking at some yamahas, selmers, and yani's. ps what is his skill level and what is your price range

Reply To Post

2. by sax_braswell
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

Having read some of the responses I think my suspicions about Monique are true. I bought a Monique curved soprano from Dominicks music and it is really bad. It leaked right out of the case and my repair man did the best he could to fix it and asked that I never bring it back to him again. They really are a cheap horn. However with that being said there are always exceptions. I have an Antigua Winds alto that I paid $355 for on ebay as a back up horn and it plays better than my Selmer Series III that cost over $3000. You may have a great playing Monique horn and if that is the case consider yourself lucky!

Reply To Post

1. by congabebe
        (1 post)

19 years ago

I played a Buscher alto in college and borrowed a Cuff and a Selmer IV. I loved the Cuff... not sure how to spell the brand name. I am shopping for a soprano sax. I want a basic model soprano sax, not a pro, something to learn on and sounds good. Easy on the hands. I bought a Dc Pro Series III flute from Dominic's Music. It is light, got a great sound, easy to play, the upper registers are not piercing and the lower registers are nice and fat. I called Dominic to set up payments. He was great to deal with. I have no complaints. I have had no problems from my flute. I will point something out. When you buy an instrument and it ships anywhere in the US, it will get alot of stress from travel from the airport to the truck and it will need adjustment when you unpack it and play it. My gemienhart flute had to be adjusted periodically and I owned it for over 20 years. I would highly recommend one of the Dc pro flutes if you are on a budget. I love mine. I have enjoyed the comments about the Moniques. thanks for putting your comments out there.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea it's Couf, the Superbas are great horns. Keilwerth Stencil, but very good. Many people sell their pro selmers after playing a Couf, they're known to be that good. They're known for a big, dark sound.

Reply To Post

2. by jasonss
        (9 posts)

19 years ago

I just bought a Schill/Helmke sax which costs me 219 USD. It's also made in CHina like Monique. I think some of the sax made in china are ok. I like the one I have. For a beginner sax, it's ok. Things I like: 1) Very solid. Very Heavy. Not easy to break. 2) Very beautiful brass. 3) Very cheap. 4) it's sound ok for beginners. It sounds like a below 500USD sax like it should be. 5) easy to play high registers. 6) no stuck keys. Things I don't like: 1) I got to get a new mouthpiece. The mouthpiece comes with it is junk. 2) Because it's very heavy, it makes my thumb and neck tired. 3) Hard to play low registers. 4) The keywork is not very fast or smooth. I needed to use WD40. These are what I think of.

Reply To Post

1. by invocansax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

I dont know bout the moniques, but ill agree with jasonss, bout his helmke tenor...it is well built. value for the money...dont expect it to sound like a 4000usd horn. its good enough for a backup when my yamaha yts-61 in the shop. i have to wonder though, the keywork with mine when i bought it was smooth and fluid, easy blowing in the low registers...ive had it for 3 yrs now, still sounds good...oh well, horns are all different anyways. Oh yeah the manufacturer of those horns make other so-called brands to, so be carefull what you buy, play test them first. and dont expect 4000usd quality, coz it aint gonna happen. but like i said with this horn i got value for my money.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

umm i dont know about schill/helmke but moniques are not solid -----------------Things I like: 1) Very solid. Very Heavy. Not easy to break.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

by the way how are schill saxes i saw some on ebay and they looked real nice but i was really concerned with the cheap prices. i think 250 for a black nickel schill alto sax

Reply To Post

1. by jasonss
              (9 posts)

19 years ago

I just started to play Tenor. I have a YAS 23 alto sax. If you just started to play Tenor and don't have much money like me. I would recommend these cheap saxophones. Mine costs 219 bucks. Yamaha YTS cost 2000. Yani T901 cost 1850. I will probably use my Schill sax to play and learn for a while, then If I got money, I will get a nice sax. It's hard for a beginner like me to pay 2000 bucks to buy a sax.

Reply To Post

2. by redleaf12
              (13 posts)

19 years ago

I was choosing between the Yani 901 and the Yamaha 62II. Those were the only new horns in my $2000 price range. I've decided on the 62II, since the key alignment is a bit more comfortable to me. Getting a first sax that's not up to snuff is doubly bad, since if the sax isn't good, you may not enjoy playing it. Good luck! PS: Don't look on ebay for saxes.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzfool132
              (144 posts)

19 years ago

so i take it u never played in school? assuming your profile is correct lol

Reply To Post

4. by jasonss
              (9 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I never played in school. I learned to play while I was in college. I have stopped playing sax for a while, and I just started to play sax again July 2004. I really like to learn musical instruments. I started with Guitar---> Piano --> Bass --> Drums ---> Sax----> Upright Bass ->> Flute --> then I picked up Sax again. I just love playing music!!!

Reply To Post

5. by jazzfool132
              (144 posts)

19 years ago

good for you im glad to see people get involved in music. were you a good player in college and u forgot ur skills if that is possible?

Reply To Post

6. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

Moniques get a rap worse than they deserve. I will agree that the first horns that came out of Taiwan really were crap. But the newer ones are currently made of MUCH higher quality than those of yore and will make a decent student horn. Those of you that rag on them probably came across an early one at some point, and are assuming that they have no room to improve quality, well the quality of those is up. Those of you not likeing them, give them another try, Id put them right up with the Jupiters and other reputable new Asian horns. Just my 2 cents!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by selmersaxman
              (13 posts)

19 years ago

I would say it could only be good for beginners. The resistance on certain notes and registers would be a drag. Lack of vibrancy would be a big problem. Jean Baptise, Schill, Winston, Monique....they ain't pro horns, so they are all the same. If you have been playing a while you would be better off getting a vintage horn like a Buescher or Conn, but you have to look around and try the horns.

Reply To Post

8. by jazzfool132
              (144 posts)

19 years ago

How are the new Yamaha Custom Z horns? Are they as reputible as their cousin, the YAS-62II? Also, are the Keilwerth EX-90 Series IIIs any good? I am wondering on which horn to pick out of these three. thanx -j

Reply To Post

9. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of yamaha, but i liked the unlaquered Z.... it depends on whether or not you like a bright tone. for that reason, i hate the yamahas (for the majority), and the series IIIs.... the Keilwerths are known to be dark horns, and i loved the EX-90 that I played. Make sure you try it out first though.

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't played a Keilwerth that I didn't absolutely LOVE!!! Of all the new horns on the market today, they are hands down my favorite!. Even their cheaper horns like the EX series have a great full sound and a very nice action. I think their SX series are some of the best saxophones ever made! I

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by bquinby
              (1 post)

19 years ago

The thing that no one tells you when you buy one of the Chinese horns is this: the repair techs don't want to touch them. From my experience working in a music store, I have found that the techs cannot guarantee them (since they tend to break down anyway), and they don't want to repair what they can't warranty. I was lucky to get a Conn 10M early in my career and my son will inherit it when I die. I generally don't recommend the new horns from China, with exception of Canonball. Yanigisawa, Keilworth, Yamaha, Conn, Martin, Selmer, even Evette-Schaefer made a good horn. You can consider the Chinese horns a rental, basically since you will be spending that money and not keeping the horn long. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

12. by j_gally
              (19 posts)

19 years ago

I know you guys all hate schills and monques but i have a budget.. what one would be better off ebay?

Reply To Post

13. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Of the 2, I think that the Monique is the better piece of junk. They're better than they used to be. I did some adjusting on one a couple months ago and played around with it for a while and it really didn't play too bad and the intonation and sound was ok. Look at some of the later Conn 20M's though. I check ebay every day just to see what's out there and what it's selling for. There are a couple 20M's on ebay right now selling for under $300, and these are pretty good horns. The Conn's from the mid-late 80's were not the same junk as those made in Mexico a few years prior. I'

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

sorry...cut off the last of what I was going to say. I'd take a look at the 20M's and see what you think. They were an intermediate model horn with a good solid action and feel; a much better horn than either of the Asian horns that you mentioned.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

my friend has a Monique alto sax, and, with a good mouthpiece, reed, and ligature makes it have a pretty good tone quality. So if you do end up getting a low quality horn, definately invest ina good set up

Reply To Post