Saxophone Forum

by music_dude_4001
(3 posts)
19 years ago

How to double tongue?

Does anybody know how to double tongue on sax?I'm just curious.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: How to double tongue?

you cant really..its a brass instrument thing..since they tongue like, at the back of thier teeth..they tongue on the roof of theyre mouth with the back part of their tongue and then a normal tongue...like saying " tada!! "

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jromain
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard that Prof. Sinta's students are expected to master this technique by the end of their freshman year of study at Michigan, so it is possible, with a little incentive. It's basically saying TaKaTaKa or DuGuDuGu (try both). Begin on repeated notes, as an example, quarter note, then TaKaTaKa and repeat. Then, move up the scale in like fashion. The challenge is to make your Ka sound as close as possible to your Ta, which is hard since Ta is on the reed, and Ka is on the roof of your mouth with the center/rear of your arched tongue. It is possible, in theory, to literally double your tonguing speed using this technique. I believe that Prof. Sinta is reputed to be able to double-tongue 16ths at quarter=300, which I believe, as I've heard him play Czardis live and it was remarkable. Hope that helps--good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by jromain
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Forgot to mention that Rudy Wiedoft was an early master of this technique, as well as triple-tongue (takata-takata-takata). Check out some of his reissued recordings...and prepare to be amazed by his mastery of technique and articulation, even if you feel that the music is not substantive.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, i play trumpet..and double tongueing is definately a trumept thing. hey, if you ever play brass instruments, you double tongue by sort of saying "taka" it's pretty cool... isnt there something called like flutter tonguing or something for sax though?

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

i heard from my teacher that sinta can triple tongue.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

yea flutter tung is goofy.. i think its comperable to a trume shake??

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by k.o. kid
      (14 posts)

19 years ago

If you can roll your "r's" in Spanish (rrrrico rrrroyal rrrreeds), you can flutter tongue with the sax (although a good growl sounds better!) Don't put much mouthpeice in your mouth, and flutter your tongue against the roof of your mouth when you blow. Sounds a little like Boots Randolph, though!

Reply To Post