Saxophone Forum

by saxman0317
(53 posts)
19 years ago

Cannonball Sax opinons out there>? Anyone!?

Im looking to upgrade from and old buescher, and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the cannonballs...........always good to do the research first and by a good horn than spend 4 k on a peice of junk! Anything would be helpful!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by terrryc
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball Sax opinons out there>? Anyone!?

here in atlanta, Sam Skelton was playing on a Cannonball tenor. Sam has a huge reputation here, so nobody doubted his selection of an instrument. But my ears told me the truth. He switched to a Mark VI and the difference was substantial. Cannonball horns are made in the same factory as Jupiter, Jean Baptiste, and other chinese/taiwanese crap. Caonnonball has a huge sales promotion going, and is a company financially supported by the Mormon church. Cannonball horns are NOT the next big thing. Look at used conn and buescher instruments from several years ago. Selmer series IIs aren't bad, either. You should be able to find a reasonably good instrument for less than $2,000. Ask around, particularly to older players. "Don't try to sail through lifeas a saxophone player on a Chinese junk." Confucious

Reply To Post

1. by samskelton
      (1 post)

19 years ago

thanks for the kind words, terry. it is true that i did purchase a VI tenor in the midst of owning a cannonball. i do, however still play a cannonball and stand behind it's wonderful qualities. it is a significantly different bird than the selmer. i find the cannonball to be a very well built and fine quality instrument regardless of price. the fact that i own both should does not mean that after getting another VI, that i have seen the error of my ways. it is merely another option for me. i would, however be cautious in making statements regarding the mormon church's role in the Laukett's business and the factory where these horns are made. where did you get this tidbit of info? if the horn isn't for you, that's fine. calling cannonballs crap is a bit extreme. there are plenty of saxophones out there that are of fine quality, they just don't work for me as well as others. i wouldn't call them crap..........just my two cent's.......... sam sam skelton director of jazz studies kennesaw state university www.samskelton.com

Reply To Post

2. by maguiz
      (1 post)

17 years ago

I am not a sax player, but I work in a duo with a Tenor player. Mr Tracy Williams. He has tested out in the 30 years that we have played together every Jap, French, Yank, Chinese and Indian sax there is. He has owned many vintage and up to date tenors. The best is his latest purchase..a Cannonball. Who gives a stuff where it's made, how little it costs, what good value it is, what church it prays in. Its a quality instrument because it makes a great sound, looks impressive. your criticism is quite childish and not helpful to a would be purchaser. I buy the guitars I like, try before you buy. Huge sales promotion? We'd never heard of Cannonball until 3 weeks ago. Steve UK

Reply To Post

2. by saxforson
    (1 post)

19 years ago

I would appreciate some experienced input here. My son--has been playing alto sax 2 years but is REALLY good--needs an upgrade from the borrowed student one we have now. He likes the Cannonball Global, but I think it's more for the looks. Is the Yamaha Series Mark II a good choice for an upgrade, or the Jupiter 869SG?? We want to buy one that will take him through jazz band in jr and sr. high, but not spend half his college fund on it!! Any recos to my email would be greatly appreciated!

Reply To Post

1. by mbkatc230
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

My daughter is a Junior in high school, has been playing Alto since 6th grade. We also had to upgrade her horn after only a couple of years because she progressed so rapidly. The school district's music director at that time wanted us to get her a Selmer paris, but that unfortunately was impossible for us financially. We were able to find a new Yamaha (can't remember the model Y62?) for an extremely good price due to the australian dollar being weak (long story). It has been a wonderful horn, and to be honest she likes it better than some Selmers she has tried (I know, blasphemy) She has recently started playing alot of big band and jazz stuff, and is looking at a cannonball big bell - we have tried a few and she really likes them alot. She also has recently played a cannonball soprano for a quartet in the solo & ensemble competition, and really liked its playability and tone. So, to answer your question, the Yamaha is a really great horn, my daughter personally does not like the Jupiters, and she is becoming quite fond of the cannonballs! Hope that helps and good luck to your son - he is really lucky that he is able to start Jazz band in Jr. High - he will have a BLAST!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Check out the Yamaha Custom 82-Z if you like the Cannonball. It's a step up from the 62. It's considerably brighter; great for big band and jazz. I wouldn't recommend a Cannonball at all. They're quality overall leaves much to be desired. The price of the Yamaha is comparable, but the Yamaha quality is far superior to the Cannonball. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the advice - she really does love her yamaha - which she informs me is a YS62. We will be looking to upgrade/add another horn next year when she knows which college of music she will be attending. We will definately look into the custom. By the way, the cannonballs she has played have been the new global big bell series, not the older knights, etc. She still likes them, but I like the dependability of the yamaha - she has had it for 4 years now with no problems at all. Kathy

Reply To Post

2. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the input - we went to look at an 82-Z, store was out of stock but our friend (HA) had her try a Selmer Reference 54 and she fell in love! As the cost is almost twice that of the Yamaha, I would appreciate any input. She plans on being a music ed major, but still wants to perform. Is really starting to enjoy jazz and big band - is one more suited to this than the other, or is it really personal preference? Any input would be appreciated Thanks!

Reply To Post

3. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the input - we went to look at an 82-Z, store was out of stock but our friend (HA) had her try a Selmer Reference 54 and she fell in love! As the cost is almost twice that of the Yamaha, I would appreciate any input. She plans on being a music ed major, but still wants to perform. Is really starting to enjoy jazz and big band - is one more suited to this than the other, or is it really personal preference? Any input would be appreciated Thanks!

Reply To Post

4. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

6. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

7. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

8. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by diminishedpower
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried every different lacour for the tenor big bell series and hated them all. They all just felt like i was playing a bundy 2 sax. I own the atlo jupiter carnegie, one set up from the atrist model by like 200 dollers and i highly recomend that horn over any for the price.

Reply To Post

3. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

You willfind just as many bad opinions as good ones, I for one love my big bell Bari in black nickel. The best thing to do is stand by the old mantra: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY and make your own decision!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not a big fan of Cannonballs. The only experience I've really had is with an alto that I borrowed from the shop where I do some repairs. I took it to a gig along with my trusty Selmer SBA, thinking the Cannonball might sound really cool. The model I tried was Silver plated. I think it was called a Knight. Sharp looking horn, but here's what I didn't like. First of all I couldn't get a good sound out of it. I tried 3 different mouthpieces and even with my darkest piece, I couldn't get a good sound. I thought it sounded really thin compared to the Selmer or the Conn 6M I normally play. I couldn't keep it in tune either. I was CONSTANTLY adjusting and trying to keep the instrument in tune! Now that sounds like a problem a beginner might have, but I am no beginner! I've been playing for 22 years, and I've NEVER had a problem with my Selmer or my Conn. The horn just felt cheesy and I didn't think the quality was very good at all. It felt like a cheap horn; like an EM Winston, or a Monique or a student model Jupiter. It didn't feel as solid as a Yamaha YAS 23! BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!! As far as Bari's go, it's pretty hard to beat a Keilwerth Bari. They just sound big and Bold. I'd lean towards Selmer in an alto; probably a Series III or a super Action 80, but a Keilwerth SX 90 tenor or Bari hands down!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

The Cannonball knight came out in 98, and some of them were alright. I suggest you try the new gloal series, you wil be impressed consaxman_jim!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

O yes always play first, but no point in trying something that isnt worth trying

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

IMO, it is VERY worth trying one of the new cannonball horns, the global series.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by phathorn
              (165 posts)

19 years ago

The knights were student model horns...the Big Bell Globals are different animals indeed

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Cannonball horn I tried was not a student model, supposedly. But I wasn't impressed. If you want a nice NEW horn, buy a Keilwerth, B&S Medusa, Selmer, Yamaha, or Yanigasawa.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxskillzyamaha
            (52 posts)

17 years ago

Canonballs can be good saxophone but they have a HORRIBLE repair record. If you are willing to pay a heft amount every 6 months for repair then get one, but It's not worth it.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxJazz42
            (9 posts)

19 years ago

I currently own both a 67xxx mark vi tenor and a cannonball mad meg big bell tenor. The cannonball is by no means a classic VI. I bought the cannonball as a backup to the VI, and it is indeed a backup horn. For me, the sound is a little thinner than the VI (especially as you ascend to the upper range) and it's biggest drawback is that the sound just isn't flexible. The horn wants to play loud and brash, and that's really all. If you are going to try one, try it with a good large chamber, darker mpc (like a vintage link/ maybe a morgan). I put a guardala on mine once and the cannonball does not react well to it. On the plus side, I got my cannonball new for less than 2 grand. I put it up next to a series III, and while the sound wasn't quite the same, the keywork was really quite similar (make sure you have it set up by a good tech if you buy) and the sound wasn't far enough off from the III to warrant the extra $1500. The cannonball is probably the best horn I've tried in it's range (

Reply To Post

1. by Blade
              (1 post)

19 years ago

I just bought the CB pro series global mad meg tenor. It has a very mellow rich sound that I love, and I've found the highs come out with a full tone. The key response is good. It is a great horn for the old big band style jazz and blues.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
                (984 posts)

19 years ago

I have mixed opinions about Cannonballs. They're not bad horns, but they're not all that much to get excited about for the price, in my opinion. Reasonably well built, decent feel. I've played some that were dogs and some that sounded good. Not enough of them out there for long enough to know for sure if they will stand the test of time. For someone looking for that BIG sound, they should take the same money and invest in a vintage 10M or King that is in good repair. Going vintage is also a much safer place to put your money. A modern "volume" production horn loses value as soon as you walk out the door with it. You'll be lucky to resell it for 75% of what you paid for it when there's new ones on the shelf at the local music store. CB finishes are attractive, but that laser etching looks cheesy to me.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Cannonball saxophones is one of the biggest dissappointments that this sax player has ever seen!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mazedull
                  (6 posts)

19 years ago

I have been in the market recently for a new alto myself and have been researching the cb mad meg alto. Actually thats how i found these postings. To reiterate sax maniac, all the local guys around here including my instructor say they havnt been out long enough to know how they will fare overtime. I do like their sound and they have a Gerald Albright signature horn out as well. I got Geralds new CD to hear what it sounds like, and he plays the crap outta that thing peace out homeslices

Reply To Post

3. by mazedull
                  (6 posts)

19 years ago

I have been in the market recently for a new alto myself and have been researching the cb mad meg alto. Actually thats how i found these postings. To reiterate sax maniac, all the local guys around here including my instructor say they havnt been out long enough to know how they will fare overtime. I do like their sound and they have a Gerald Albright signature horn out as well. I got Geralds new CD to hear what it sounds like, and he plays the crap outta that thing peace out homeslices

Reply To Post

4. by lemonhead
                  (23 posts)

19 years ago

I know that the cannonballs aren't that popular with some because of an early reputation of falling apart but I went head on with that problem when bying a sax. I kind bugged the dude at the store about how they fall apart. He told me that it was an old problem that was fixed(of course he had to tell me about a million stories of how they fixed it and what they added). After that I decided to give it a go. I tried six saxes the bigest one I tried was a Yamaha that was over $6,000. I wasn't being ripped off either it was some cool stuff. I can't say the cannonball was quite as good but it beat everything else I tried. It was the second best sax in the store.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try a Keilwerth SX 90, or a Yamaha Custom Z.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by mrd
                  (137 posts)

19 years ago

Cannonball Tenor Sax T9000G Royal Crown Pro 1998 model

Can anyone give me quick thought on this model? Rather quick because it would help. Is this model compare better to some of the better horns??

Reply To Post

7. by definition
                  (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball Tenor Sax T9000G Royal Crown Pro 1998 model

If its not a big bell or the new stone cutter big big bells, general consensus has been to stay away. but the new big bell will knock your socks off pretty well!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by saxismyaxe
                  (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball Tenor Sax T9000G Royal Crown Pro 1998 model

Although Cannonballs are not my personal choice of horns; for anyone in the market for one of their most favored models, here is a nice one for sale cheap on SOTW: saxontheweb.net/sotwforum/viewtopic.php?t=26715

Reply To Post

9. by mrd
                  (137 posts)

19 years ago

Keilwerth ex90

The ex and sx are basically the same horn except for real ivory/synthetic and some adjustments. The ex90 is a steal for it is really the SX90.

Reply To Post

10. by mosplace
                  (26 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth ex90

Sorry, but the EX and the SX are totaly different! The S and the SX-R are the only horn from Keilwerth that are still made completly in Germany. The ST is made in Asia and the EX is either made in Czech or Asia, I´m not 100% sure. The SX has adjustable palm keys, G-sharp pad cup lifting mechanis, hydraulically formed neck, waterproofed pads and is a way better horn than the EX. The EX is an intermediate horn and the SX a profi horn.

Reply To Post

11. by mrd
                  (137 posts)

19 years ago

ex90/sx90

You clarified the differences, however I am not impressed with "Germany", nor any other part of the world. I only know what I hear. I have played them both. There is barely a "lick" of difference. As for opinions, Steve at Mindworkshop has both, and here is his exact words since he has both horns: Keilwerth’s high-end saxophones are available in two models as I write this. The EX90 horns are described as "semi-professional" and the SX90 instruments are their high-end professional saxes. The distinctions between them are somewhat esoteric. The SX90s offer adjustable palm keys, real mother of pearl buttons and perhaps most notably, aluminum road cases that seem capable of withstanding the attentions of an irritated rhinoceros. The EX90s come in a conventional wooden hard-shell case, have imitation mother of pearl buttons and you’ll have to live with the palm keys as they come from the factory. I have one of each – I’ve never actually adjusted the palm keys on my SX90. So, it is the ear that tells me what is preferable. This is just like the esoteric discussion on Selmer VI and VII. I have heard them both. If I found a cheap VII over spending 5000 for a VI, I'd grab it. I am not impressed with names nor with reputations. I am not David Sanborn, but my ears and fingers still run my decision. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post

12. by christisax
                  (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ex90/sx90

I just recently (one month ago) bought a Stone Cutter Series Cannonball tenor. I played a Yanigisawa in high school and after being out for 7 years decided to go back to college. I needed a horn and after much research, decided that for the price, I would try a CB. Not without playing, of course, so I went to my nearest dealer and WOW! Don't get me wrong, I still love VI's and other vintage horns. I played a Mark VI in high school also, but my repair guy accidentally relacquered it and it never sounded the same. If I had 6 grand, yeah, I probably would've bought a VI and never tried the CB horns. I didn't have that, so for less than 2 GRAND, I got an awesome horn with mouthpiece, two necks etc. Their factory mouthpieces actually aren't that bad, either. It's easy to trash mouth a horn when you haven't tried it- and for those of you that have, there are just as many people that have played on vintage horns and didn't like them... sometimes it is the player. And I play VERY well in tune on mine. In fact, I've been out of high school 7 years and that new horn has gotten me a FULL paid scholarship back to school.

Reply To Post

13. by conn-hunter
                  (1 post)

19 years ago

Ex90III sounds sometimes better than the sx90R! I own a sx90R alto gold nickel but I was impressed with a Ex90III sandfinish Gold, sounds much better for much less money!! And the tenor take the same way. A EX90III is a bargain, plays in the same category that the expansiver sx and sx90R and is much cheaper! No matter if it comes from germany or east europe or asia. Keilwerth is in fact no longer a german company!

Reply To Post

14. by TANGO SIX ONE
                  (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar state: "up grading from an old Buescher" We dont like the term upgrade, your looking for something different,may be spend some money.Ok Going New the knights would go nickel silver Sx 90. Dont go for the Ex they are not the same animal .The alloy is not from Keilwerth.Its a totally different alloy and is a student instrument.Your current Buescher has many more sub colours than an Ex horn is capable of producing.Sx90 is where you want to be.Cant comment on the Cannonball not checked them out although reading on this forum, posted by one or their staff about their techniques for hammering is good stuff, and shows the forum working well with good debate.The knights Templar will give you one very sound piece of advice.Buy the best saxophone you can afford, thats if you are going to buy new(.Bird lives).

Reply To Post

15. by phathorn
                  (165 posts)

19 years ago

upgrading from an old buescher....hmmm, if it's a TH&C or 'new aristocrat' , exactly how would one upgrade?:)

Reply To Post

16. by TANGO SIX ONE
                  (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar have finally taken several of their order to check out the Cannonball horns.We tried all the ones they do.it didnt take us long to decide.These horns are most certainly for the student market. They may look nice and it pays no respect to the great man. They are a good student horn and thats it.Make no mistake he checked them out totally.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post