Saxophone Forum

by sirmarkus2
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Different lacquor jobs, effect & effectiveness.

I have seen a bunch of different styles of horns out there; some that are straight, and some that are red white and blue with funky little stars; but all in all, I want to know what the true effect of differnt lacquors have on horns,and also what yall think.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cg2005
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Different lacquor jobs, effect & effectiveness.

The style and color of a new lacquer coat can greatly affect the overall quality of the horn's sound. But that's only for lacquer. If you are deciding to have designs etched onto your horn, I doubt that will affect the sound. Your safe bet is to just leave the lacquer as it is.

Reply To Post

1. by saxomaniac
      (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Different lacquor jobs, effect & effectiveness.

Overall, lacquer will affect the tonal color. The more lacquer, or thicker "paint" on colored graphic horns, the less it will resonate or "speak." Some older horns with the lacquer worn off actually speak the most brilliantly, not always the case however. Plated horns, such as silver or gold will also act as the lacquer does in creating its own style of resonance, yet plating doesn't have quite the tendency to negatively detract or deaden the sound, as the sound resonates more freely. (not to say that lacquer is a negative thing! it's certainly not) It's just that a poor lacquer job can have negative affects on the sound. Hope that helps!

Reply To Post