Saxophone Forum

by selmerfan
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Keep one or both?

I've got a little bit of a quandry. I am the proud owner of a 1967 141xxx Selmer Mark VI alto that I bought from Tenor Madness and that Randy has taken care of quite well over the years (understatement) and a Selmer Serie III 593xxx alto that I purchased during college because I had much better legit sound on the Serie III than the Mark VI. As many of you know, there isn't a whole lot of market for legit sax out there, but plenty of jazz gigs for a decent player, especially one who owns a alto AND a tenor. I need to get a tenor, but seminary and starting a new family have me strapped for funds. Should I sell one of my horns, if so, which one? OR should I continue borrowing a close friends vintage Buescher tenor that doesn't play it any more and have Randy set it up and keep good care of it for him and put it to good use? Let me know your opinions, having my horns taken care of by Randy is easy, I live an hour west of him. :) Selmerfan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmerfan
    (67 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keep one or both?

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

If your friend doesn't use that old buescher, just keep using that until you've saved up enough to either buy the horn from him or a horn that fits you.

Reply To Post

1. by morandjp
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

depends.. are you at all attached to the series III? They play great, but the obvious superior is a Mark VI. So either you 1) sell the Series III and live with a decent tenor, or 2) sell the VI for some exuberent amount and live with a great series III

Reply To Post

1. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

This may be heresy, but I've played a lot of Mark VI's and a lot of Serie III's, and the obvious superior is not all that obvious. In my opinion, if you want to strictly play classical, the obvious choice is a Serie III, but the Mark VI is my favorite jazz horn, the Serie III does both sides of the horn better than my Mark VI. And to answer your question, I am attached to the Serie III AND the Mark VI, my grandmother bought the Mark VI for me in high school, but I love playing them both, so I'll probably just keep both, who knows......

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This may be heresy, but I've played a lot of Mark VI's and a lot of Serie III's, and the obvious superior is not all that obvious. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- quoted for the truth factor of it all. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I am attached to the Serie III AND the Mark VI, my grandmother bought the Mark VI for me in high school, but I love playing them both, so I'll probably just keep both, who knows...... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ It sounds like people who get rid of horns they like, even for very good reasons, end up regretting it. Sounds like a good idea to keep them both, if possible. Just borrow the Buescher. :)

Reply To Post

3. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

Well, someone hit the nail on the head for me. I've heard more sob stories of "I used to have a (insert horn make/model) and I needed some money so I sold it, I wish I hadn't done that. Besides, we have one child and another coming in April, hopefully one of them will at least consider saxophone, they're doomed to be musicians, my wife and I both have our BME's and teach music!!!

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

keep both of them! I'm sure you will regret it if you don't. Why not look into a old 10M tenor or something else that isn't too $$$$? just a thought.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM