Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

Tenor Sax reeds...which ones?

There are so many of them! I was deciding which to get: Marca, Vandoren Java, or Rico Royal Jazz select. I've had past experience with Vandoren standards, and Rico Royal standards. Does anyone know anything about the jazz ones and the Marcas? Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jimmysaxplayer
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax reeds...which ones?

I've been a long time Vandoren Java user. I just recently tries Vandoren's ZZ reeds and I think they are fantastic. I haven't noticed too many of the consistancy issues, but they do blow though pretty quick. After about 10-15 hours of playing they're pretty beat.

Reply To Post

2. by ebert
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

I personally really like Rico Jazz Selects because they are more consistant in strength than Java's in particular, and last a good while. I do not know anything about the Marca brand reed. Maybe experiment with different reeds by buying a few good ones and decide yourself. I know that I just can't stand Vandoren because their reeds are so inconsistant. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by StratmanBaze
      (61 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, I agree about the inconsistency of Vandorens...they always seemed to...break. Anyways, my rico royal standards sucked. Its cool that the Jazz selects last longer. Does anyone else know about Marca?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I've never had a problem with Vandorens...hmm...must be personal opinion. I'm using Rico's now but will be using Vandorens when I get my new tenor. Prolly the Java's along with an Otto Link 7. I hope I can get a good sound out of it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I was using LaVoz up until a couple years ago, and then the music store where I was buying them quit selling them. I started using Vandorens. I've tried the V16 and the Javas, and for the past year, I had been using the V16 2 1/2's but the couple boxes I got really SUCKED! I ordered some LaVoz through WWBW, because I always liked them and found them to be very consistant. I bought some Rico Jazz Selects also and I really like them. I sure wouldn't buy any more Vandorens.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Geez, maybe I oughta re-think my reed choice when I get that tenor. Seems like ya'll have had bad experiences with the Vandorens.

Reply To Post

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I've had pretty good expiriences with Vandorens. When I get a box, 2 or 3 usually play great, but the others do play. I work the reeds a little, so all the vandorens play well. With the Vandorens, I usually go between the JAVAs and V16s, Though I usually play Alexanders mostly. You should look into those!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Ah, yes, I see they're in my WWBW catalog. Famous acclaims to them too. I'd prolly go with the Black Label reeds only because my tenor would be more focused on jazz. Maybe I could still use the Vandorens for more of an orchestra roll? Sounds good to me.

Reply To Post

5. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Alexanders are good reeds. The superial reminds me of a V16, just better. The DC is like a ZZ. They have a lot of response and color to them.

Reply To Post

6. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

plus they come in those wonderful cute little tins... lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

*Rolls eyes* Definition, are you all right? Can ya breathe? Don't walk to the light :) I just noticed tho. The reeds are like $30 a tin. For 5 reeds, that's $6 a reed. Imagine some dingleberry whacking his sax against one of dem reeds. I'll be beatin $6 out of him *laughs*

Reply To Post

8. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Where are you looking? Right here they're around 15 dollars a tin, a little cheaper at WWBW.

Reply To Post

9. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I'm looking on WWBW. Where are you lookin? $15 is almost what I paid for my Frederick L. Hempke's through a local music shop.

Reply To Post

10. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

heh, better not be any idiot bangin my reed! Or any other part of my horn, for that matter. There would soon be a very dead Idiot. And I pay 14.50 per tin for alexanders from my local shop.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM