Saxophone Forum

by jbroad572
(46 posts)
19 years ago

Do you name your saxes?

I have not named the current sax (beginner Antigua tenor :() But once I get my Shadow, I have the name Luann picked out for her. The name stuck with me after reading Dave Baldacci's "The Winner". I liked the character and the name just kinda stuck with me.. So that will be its name. My Antigua 586, which should be here in a few hours, has not been named yet. Maybe once I see her tomorrow, it will come to me :p. Am I crazy or do you guys do it too?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Do you name your saxes?

" Do you name your saxes?" Yeah, I have a number of choice names for them when they aren't working properly! ;)

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

there was a similar post under Welcome To Sax Quest. I play a 1948 Conn 10M naked lady that a friend has given the name "Old Betty" He worked at a nursing home while attending college, and he said there was a lady there named Betty who would frequently walk out into the halls naked! I also have a 1926 Conn Chu Berry alto that I named Lois after my grandmother.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mosplace
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, all may saxophones have names My c-soprano´s name is J.D. since Jason DuMars has engraved it so beautifull and I thought this name fits just perfect. My C-meldoy Chu´s name is Coleman, since I love the music of Coleman Hawkins and he has started his saxophone carreer on a c-melody. My Sx90 Anniversary alto´s name is Uri, that is a nickname form of great grandma here in Germany. My grandma died the day I got this sax, I loved here very much and that is a tribute to here. My Shadow tenor´s name is "BEN" that is a short form for "braucht´s eigentlich nicht" , which means in Englisch, didn´t realy need this sax, since I had already a tenor. But i fell in love with this sax. The name of my new The Martin bariton is Bear, since in the low notes, this sax is realy grummling like a bear. Huge incredibale sound.

Reply To Post

1. by mcorrea
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

I call my tenor Kyle Worth...

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

Murphey

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by scottiebu13
        (1 post)

19 years ago

The only sax I ever named was the sax I hated the most. It was a school horn I used for marching band so that I didn't have to hurt my new (at the time) Yamaha Custom tenor. It was an ancient Conn Tenor. I have no clue what model or year because there was no laquer or engravings. I'm assuming it was a crappy student model. I think it might have been made of iron because it was a heavy thick metal and had been dropped by me several times without even a scratch. Some how the horn was dented before I began using it... someone must've run it over with a bus or something. Anyway, this horn got named "The Tank" because of its weight and durability!

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

my old bari was called the fire breathing dragon, my clarinet is gustav, my bass clarinet is king louis the 1 1/2, and my new bari has yet to be named, but im thinking ronnie

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by streetSax570
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

I play the Tenor sax and I name it T-Sax

Reply To Post AIM

5. by musickman
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, my saxes have names. I let my wife name them. When I told her my Alto cost $1800, she named it "Foolish". When I bought my Soprano for $2000, she called it "Moron". When I bought my Tenor for $2400, she called it "Idiot". When I told her a Baritone would cost me $5300, she said she would call it "Divorced".

Reply To Post

6. by musickman
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

Seriuosly though, I thought about calling my new Tenor "Lucille", in honor of another great Jazz/R&B musician.

Reply To Post

7. by musickman
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

I believe (i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong) that Jacksonville State U has a Baritone Sax that is named the "Grey Ghost", referring to the color of the laquerless beast!

Reply To Post

8. by KingNecron
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

I call my crappy Armstrong tenor "Gluteus Saximus." For such a mediocre horn, I've actually gotten some amazing sound from it. I still need a new horn, but Gluteus Saximus has served me well.

Reply To Post AIM

9. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights Templar state; Of course you dont name your saxes. Unless that is your a Conn man.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

10. by justanothersaxguy
        (58 posts)

19 years ago

Allison. My Cannonball tenor. She's definitely an Allison. (And she knows it, too).

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Someone at my school calls their busted alto "Old Doobie." Oh yea and someone else calls their tenor "Mr. Biggulzwurth."

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jbroad572
            (46 posts)

19 years ago

I ended up naming my soprano "Miracle", because it was truly a mircacle how I was able to purchase it.

Reply To Post

1. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

I didnt think it was right to name my sax, as you have to constantly use words like 'fingering' and 'blowing' and when thats coupled with the word 'hard', it just doesnt sound right to give them names, for example, if i named my alto sax matt or something, i would have to say: 'I need to blow matt harder' Or 'When im playing with matt, my fingering tends to go wrong' Sounds wrong, doesnt it???

Reply To Post

2. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

eewwww!

Reply To Post

3. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

Told ya!!!

Reply To Post

4. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

ooo baby. I fingered Monica on stage last night!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, my Selmer SBA alto's name is Donald, after my uncle, my Chu Berry's name is Lois, after my grandmother, my 10M Naked Lady is "Old Betty" after an old lady at a nursing home a friend worked at, who liked to take off her clothes and walk out in the hallway naked! My 6M's name is Sally....I don't know why. I was thinking about naming my Buescher tenor Gus, after Gus Buescher, but I really don't know after reading Jellybean's post if I want to give my sax a guys name! That's just......not right!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

I've always thought of Cars and Saxes as women, at least my wife has complained when I spend money on "them" instead of her. The problem arises when you want the car or sax to be "ballsy!" This isn't "that" kind of forum, so I'll stop there.

Reply To Post

7. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

apparently it did become a little like that kind of forum. I thought it best to restrain myself rather than responding... about how it feels to have Allison in my hands, and ... Yeah. I think it's time to end this thread, huh?

Reply To Post

8. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Most of my saxophones are my parents age or older! Some of them are even older than my grandparents! So....from that standpoint, I try not to think of them in a sexual manner! But, saxophones have character. They have their own personalities.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, triple post, well done, lol, im just joking, and heres another disgusting phrase {taking into account im a girl and 'matt' reffers to a sax}: "Sorry im late, I was playing with Matt before i came" Translation: "Sorry im late, i was playing my sax before meeting you" Note: I did not come up with that, blame my mate, who is also a fellow saxophone player.

Reply To Post

10. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

19 years ago

well are they all female names or shoulf they be male ,,, saxophone is a male word """un saxophone'''seems female due to the ""e"" ending but is in fact male because it used to be """saxophon"" at one time ? So why is everyone naming thier horns with female names. In fact all you guys with bizarre attachments with thier horns I wonder??

Reply To Post

11. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

If you'ree that concerned, go for a unisex name, like Kelly. Or Bob

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

What if my horn is a transaxual?

Reply To Post

13. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Is it a Conn transaxual model made between 1929 and 1934? I thought a Transaxual was someone who started on alto and switched to tenor. A homosaxual only plays one type of sax. A Bisaxual plays 2. One who plays sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, and bass would be a sexsaxual!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

Personally, I would think that one who plays not only soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, but also sopranino and bass would be a saxual pig - some people just cannot get enough..... Not only does he or she, at this point, pig out on the excesses of not just a soprano, an alto, a tenor OR a baritone, BUT ALL OF THEM - no, as if this is all not enough to satisfy,- now we've surpassed a mere excessive, gluttonous appetite of self-indulgence here; we are now journeying further into the sopranino and the bass - this now at the fringe of what sax was meant to be; it is now downright perverse. At this point, IT IS NO LONGER EVEN ABOUT SAX - it is about pushing the envelope at the edges of normal simply for the twisted thrill of something odd, queer, useless.... yes, people, size does matter, but let's excercise some restraint, OK? This is a family site.... You people are all saxually obsessed. I pity you.

Reply To Post

15. by jbroad572
              (46 posts)

19 years ago

Kelly.... unisex???? How about Sue dor that matter? Johnny Cash made it work

Reply To Post

16. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

My tenor saxes name is Mr. T

Reply To Post

17. by jbroad572
              (46 posts)

19 years ago

In the words of my uncle, " I Pity the Fool"

Reply To Post

18. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

But Jim, What's the difference between a rolled hole transaxual and a 69M?

Reply To Post

19. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

hmm. Interesting question Marty. All Conn transaxuals have rolled holes, as do Conn saxophones made between 1919-1947. If you're lucky enough to try a 69M, I would suggest tonguing rather than bitting the uh.......reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

20. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you're not sure if your sax is a boy or a girl....name it Pat! Especially if it happens to be an SNL sax! (Saturday Night Live).

Reply To Post Yahoo!

21. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

I was happy to hear that my King has balls, but I've never named her.

Reply To Post

22. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

I don't think saxophones should have names. I just think of mine as an extension of my body, a vital organ :-)

Reply To Post

23. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I was happy to hear that my King has balls, but I've never named her. Now, where did that sentence stop making sense.

Reply To Post

24. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

I'd rather have a Lady who's a King than a man who's a queen! I'm not a homosaxual!

Reply To Post

25. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

It just sounded really funny.

Reply To Post

26. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

This is extreme.

Reply To Post

27. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

so what kinda horn is it? lmao

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

28. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

Do you think Chairman Mao Tse Tung ever envisioned his first name to be 3/4 of the expression: "LMAO?" I don't care what kind of horn it is, I just get a kick that it's low, female, and silver!

Reply To Post

29. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

I'm thinkin' the cost of $220 to ship by arial transport is because they use that special bird in the picture there - each horn comes with it's own homing pigeon specially trained to look like an eagle in flight.

Reply To Post

30. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

The mouthpiece doesn't look like a duck-bill. More like a slant sig.

Reply To Post

31. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hmmm. Interesting point there justanothersaxguy. You would think that transporting by eagle would be cheaper than typical air mail! Possibly faster too!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

32. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

just posting here so I can uncheck the check box for "notify of responses" for this post - it is getting really bad.....

Reply To Post

33. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, it keeps e-mailing me this post even if there are no responses

Reply To Post

34. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

yeah. me too. I even unchecked the check box so it wouldn't notify me, and it still did. truly bummed.... Oh well, I'm willing to endure it all for the sake of seeing what response might come back from con man Jim about saxophones being poured in molds....

Reply To Post

35. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

oops. Sorry, Jim. That's Conn man - with 2 "n's" - I keep making the same freudian slip.

Reply To Post

36. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

The only reason i kept it checked is because i have no life in the way of e-mails. I never get anything unless i specifically ak a company something.

Reply To Post

37. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

LMAO

Reply To Post

38. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

What's that? I am not smart when it comes to abbreviattions

Reply To Post

39. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

LMAO is laugh my arse off

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

40. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

okay.

Reply To Post

41. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think someone here is looking for attention. Not getting enough at home perhaps. Maybe Allison is the only "female" in his life! But, hey.... if you truely love your sax, give it a name. Naming your sax just goes to show how important it is to you. And even Cannonballs deserve love too! Regardless of how they're brass is annealed and rather anyone REALLY cares!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

42. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I can only say that i have missed something in this conversation

Reply To Post

43. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Don't worry West, you haven't missed much. Just another member's arrogant plee for attention! I've been a Saxquest member for quite some time now, and I have contributed over 1000 posts! I answer an average of 5 emails per day from Saxquest members. I am a saxophone historian and collector of vintage saxophones. I never claim to know everything, but I know a lot! I've done my research! I'm certainly not "talking out my ass" as this member once put it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

44. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

No. Not looking for attention. It's just so much fun to get you cranked up!

Reply To Post

45. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

19 years ago

This forum went a tiny bit off track, Didn't it. I cant think of a name for my alto!

Reply To Post

46. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

Stan Laurel Oliver Hardy any of the three stooges have good names W.C. Fields Red Skelton Victor Borge You'll thni of one eventually. And the forums always go off track. I think everyone has at least a small degree of A.D.D

Reply To Post

47. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Let's see......... I've named my tenor Ella my soprano is Jasmine and my flute is Alice and i've named my clarinet Useless Piece of S***! :-)

Reply To Post

48. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

That last one was very creative and original. I like that.

Reply To Post

49. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

I have an old beat to hell bundy II alto i have my students use from time to time, i call it Big PORCFM... or Big Pile of Rotting, Cannine, fecal matter

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

50. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

LoL Nice

Reply To Post

51. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I have to think of a name like that for my alto. It's a Jean Baptiste. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post

52. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Jean Baptiste!

Reply To Post

53. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

To bad i can't put some kind of notation in here that would hint at sarcasm, but here it goes. That's great, i would have never thought of that, thanks so much. And you really surprised me on the originality of that name. Did you think of it all by your self LOL. Please don't take the wrong way .LOL Anyway, i might end up having to keep that name

Reply To Post

54. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

hmm a Jean Baptist......how about Rev. Jean?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

55. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

I'd stay with Jean Baptiste, too. It's already written on the front of it. That way, if you forget....

Reply To Post

56. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I'll just stick with Jean Baptiste i guess. that horn sucks

Reply To Post

57. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Well my Tenor has 'Dave Guardala' written on the front of her, but her name's still Ella!

Reply To Post

58. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

*Nods approvingly at the topic* Havent seen this place in a while, just seeing what strange comments people have put after i pointed out how wrong it all sounds, heh... carry on, carry on...

Reply To Post

59. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

19 years ago

I still don't have a clue what to name mine

Reply To Post

60. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Well what is it (color, brand, type)?

Reply To Post

61. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Oh Buescher 400 alto! i used to hav a buescher 400 tenor. no ideas for names though

Reply To Post

62. by Jellybean666
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

Call it Bob... that is the best name in the history of names... everyone should be called Bob...

Reply To Post

63. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

If it's a girl, then i seriously recommend you call it " Aunt Jemima " That name really gets my syrup stirring LOL

Reply To Post

64. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

If it's a girl, then i seriously recommend you call it " Aunt Jemima " That name really gets my syrup stirring LOL. That was sort of lame, but i am serious about the name

Reply To Post

65. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

If it's a girl, then i seriously recommend you call it " Aunt Jemima " That name really gets my syrup stirring LOL. That was sort of lame, but i am serious about the name

Reply To Post

66. by Candyboy
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

I own alot of saxophones,but I only have one with a name. It is an old Conn C-mel no lacquer brass an 82 year old patina. New white roo pads with seemless resonators and saxgourmet power pips. It is only shiney where my hands touch it. I call it "Crusty"
              Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

67. by spifster
              (67 posts)

19 years ago

Alto: Sparky (yam 62) Tenor: Muffy (King zephyr Special) C-melody: Hans

Reply To Post

2. by mega band geek
            (60 posts)

19 years ago

My Bari is a 1955 Low-A MK VI that was used as a marching horn for 45 years. Over which time, it has been beaten, battered, dented, dinged, scratched, etc. As well as buffed/relac'd twice. (Because of wich it has the MK VI tone, but a little brighter which I prefer, closer to the sound of some of the older Conns/Bueshers). Anyways, as one could imagine, it doesn't look too hot. I had it restored (bare brass) and now it really plays. So, going with the beaten-up, war torn look and still great tone, I named it Bertha.

Reply To Post AIM