Saxophone Forum

by TrentG
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha YAS-6211

I'm going to buy a nex saxophone, but am just using it for concert season. I don't want to get a selmer, though they are good, but I was doing some research on Yamaha saxes. I play the Yamaha YAS-23, and I'm not quite satisfied, though don't get me wrong it is a great saxophone, and I've been playing it for 4 years now, but I think I would do better in the judges lair if I had a better sax. So anyway I was looking on the Yamaha website, and I think I found my new saxophone, the Yamaha YAS-6211. I would really enjoy some feedback on what you think about the sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by just bobby
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS-6211

I think it is a fine pro sax that does not carry a bunch of hype over a name and does not cost a fortune, everyone praises a Selmer Mark 6 but where is one and who can afford it just for a name and reputation? And the new ones are crap from the reviews i have seen on here so far. So save some money buy the sax and enjoy, the pro's dont play them just for kicks they play them because they are worthy to be played!

Reply To Post

2. by Jonathan_sfyee
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS-6211

Dear TrentG, I have tried the YAS62II and I find it to be an excellent pro alto sax. It is well built, consistent in construction quality and very easy and nice to play. It does have a very pure tone that is often critisized for not having a personality or have no characterics. I personally love the tone of the Yamaha altos. Both Dave Koz and Nelson Rangell plays on a older model YAS-62. The feel of the horn and the key layout, IMHO is better than anything out there that I have tried, and this includes the Yanagisawa A-991 and the Selmer SA80 Series III. The Selmer Mark VI is a great horn, but I also agree with the fact that not all of them are great. They vary from one horn to the next. Other new horns that you might want to try would be the Yani A-901 and A-991, and even the Yamaha YAS-875EX and the YAS-82Z. You might also want to consider a vintage horn. For around USD2000, I think you can get yourself a SML Rev D, a Buffet SuperDynaction, a Buescher Aristocrat, or a Conn 6M. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post