Saxophone Forum

by troymcclure
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Should I sell my two horns and get a better one?

I am just starting out on sax. I have a YAS-23 and an Elkhart buescher stencil that I just aquired. I was thinking of selling both of these horns and buying a vintage pro model. Is this advisible? Should I learn to play on the YAS first?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Should I sell my two horns and get a better one?

If you are just starting out, I advise that you stick with the YAS-23 so long as it is in good repair. That horn will serve you for a very long time - in fact, you may never find a need to replace it at all. Vintage horns have their idiosyncracies that I think can create trouble for beginners that more experienced players can tolerate and deal with - without having to go to the repair tech everytime the notes don't come out like they used to. (Although there are those players who take their horn to the tech everytime it gets the sniffles - God Bless them...) Reliability is far more important than "coolness" when it comes to a beginning player.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Those people keep the techs of the world in business

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with sax maniac. If you'd consider an original Super Action 80 a vintage horn, but it is a pro horn, I played one for two concerts, and several rehersals. It was my band directors. I've had almost seven years experience on sax (just a fraction of what some of these folks have had, but I'm no beginner by any stretch of the imagination), and I found it very hard blowing. There was no way to play a low Eb or low G for that matter quietly; you had to snap the air through in order to get a sound; something you can't do in Wind Ensemble. But that's just an example, I think, of what sax_maniac said. Now I'm getting a Selmer LaVoix, a pro horn considered by most. But that's b/c I've had seven years experience and I am intending on making a career out of it. I've heard wonderful things about the YAS-23. I'd stick with it. Heck, I still have my decade+ old Armsttong that got me through five years of my sax career. Consider this. You're just starting out on sax. Suppose a year or two down the road after you buy your $5,000 Mark VI that you no longer want to play it? Keep it? Save it for your kids who might not even want to touch it? Or try to resell it? The resell might work, but for now, it might not be worth to shell out that kind of money for say, a Mark VI (considering you wanted a pro vintage horn). Good luck and happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

I agree, dont sell. Get it checked out then down the road upgrade.

Reply To Post

1. by troymcclure
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Well I never planned on getting a 5K $ selmer. I was thinking more along the lines of buescher aristocrat or 400. I do have another dilema though. I have an elk hart made by buescher true tone stencil from the early 20s (before snap in pads came a long). I have had it checked out and it will cost about 300 dollars for the overhaul, but many people tell me it will be a great sax afterwards. I don't have the money right now, but if I sold my YAS - 23 I could afford it. IS that a bad idea as well?

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Look, here's what ya do. You get a job, or if you have one already save $$$ (300 of them worth), overhaul the Buescher, and if it turns out you don't like the sax that much, you can keep it either for your kids earlier down the road or sell it later. Or beg and plead for mom to let you borrow $300 until you can pay her back. Oh and PS: You have a Buescher True Tone made in Elkhart, Indiana.

Reply To Post