Saxophone Forum

by mojocoggo
(97 posts)
19 years ago

Please rate my music!

Here is a collection of music I have made in the past year or so. www.myshizit.z280.com/applejack/audio Each song has a little description. If you like any song in particular, please let me know! I'm doing this just to see what other people think of my music. There are alot of songs where I am playing baritone sax, and one with me playing alto, and many with me playing many instruments. Please leave feedback! Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Please rate my music!

I can't remember the name but it was the one you said you figured out how to play but you weren't quite there yet. I liked that one alot. If you don't mind telling me, how did you make the "Uber bass"? The lengths of tubing so maybe I could make one.

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
      (97 posts)

19 years ago

Glad you liked something. The uberbass was very easy to make. Just hope that your local hardware store has the right pieces. I used 3 5 foot long pieces that are 3/4 inches in diameter. for the joints, i used 2 90ยบ elbows connected with an adapter. I practically built it right there in the store to make sure everything would fit. That is what I suggest doing. Also, you better hope you have a saxophone neck that will fit, so you might want to bring one along when you shop for PVC pipes. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

Would a standard tenor mouthpiece fit in the pipes ? Also, does it really play? Thanks for the info.

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Like I said, I strongly recommend you bring whatever mouthpiece or neck you will be using to the store with you when you get the pipes. You don't want to be running back to the store because the mouthpiece was half a millimeter too big. Yes, it does really play... There is a sound clip on the link in the first post. However, try to use a mouthpiece/reed setup that will give you a dark sound, otherwise it will squeak uncontrollably, and it will be much harder to play.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

having played that sax that u have the 156 i recognize that easily *thick* sound its a false hood it sound good recorded... but i hate the upper octave on that sax... its a death trap theirs alot of tuning issues on it the music is simplistic and different i like the way you overdubbed and were creative with basic ideas its very good id like to hear such implemented in different ways too and its just good to hear the bari played!

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha i just listened to the uber bass... hahahaha its sounds like a flipper a helicopter a wookie and i like it

Reply To Post

4. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

hehe I'm glad you like the uberbass. Yeah my 156a bari is espically horrible because 1. its a school instrument, and has been dropped on solid pavement several times (not by me of course ;-) and 2. the octave key is missing a piece, rendering it useless. Other than that, its a great horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

after dilligently reviewing your entire site including pictures and videos, i have come to the conclusion that you need a seriuos life. join a rec. league or somthin.. haha damn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

6. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

heh... you're probably right :-P

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I thought it sounded like a wookie too and I loved it

Reply To Post

8. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yani thats kinda harsh he has a life hes pretty good at what hes doing he obviously likes music enough to be a mac user and such id say he definitly has a life

Reply To Post

9. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

w00t! Props to all the Mac users!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm very impressed! I admire your creativity. You have taken improvisation to whole new levels! It's amazing how much fun you can have with some PVC pipe, and empty pop bottles! A suggestion on the Uberbass...I would use reducing couplings to go from the 3/4" up to 2", and then maybe use a 4" coupling for a bell. I think this might help with some of the lower tones. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow, and I want to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Jim! I might be going later this week to the store to get more pipes. My inspiration was someone who has built a 64 foot long clarinet from PVC pipe, and apparantly, the reed vibrates at 4HZ!!! That must feel weird.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

wow, and I dont like Contra clarinet cause of the vibrations, that must be uncomfortable. Anyways, I like the stuff you got, the only problem I have is that there are alot of timing issues in some of them. But your creativity is awe inspiring. I'll give you a definate pat on the back. You may want to work on getting out of the habbit of just playing the blues scale when improving. I noticed some of your improve was just the blues scale up and down.

Reply To Post

13. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

I'm glad you like my songs! The timing issues are mainly because I am only one person, and can only play one part at a time, so alot of the time, I am just guessing tempos and that's never fun. I have a metronome program on my computer so that helps a little. You're right about my improvisation. After listening to that one song a few times I realized that all I really did was just go up and down the blues scale. But that was a while ago, I am a little better now I think :-) I will try to update the page periodically, and I will probably just add to this post to notify of updates.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I understand. I once tried to do a piece were I played every part on my windows voice recorder (like a quartet or quintet, I dont remember) to test out my new expensive sax mic, it didnt work out so well. The sound quality was great, but my trumpet was off by like a beat and my alto was like a 32 note slow, oh it sounded horrible, you actually did pretty well for peicing it together the way you did. Anyways, you said rate your music so I was just telling you what I hear. I'd like to hear some of your newer recordings on alto, did you have any on your site? I didnt get to hear it ALL, but would appreciate some new stuff. Its pretty good to listen to.

Reply To Post

15. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, I'm really glad you like it. I will get some new recordings up as soon as I can. I will make a heading called 'New' or something where I will put all my more recent stuff.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM