Saxophone Forum

by FredCDobbs
(77 posts)
19 years ago

Warped reeds

Is there any tried and true solution to warped reeds? Do any of the reed holders on the market prevent this? What causes it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Warped reeds

just put em in your mouth for a few seconds, that'll straighten them right back out

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

just put em in your mouth for a few seconds, that'll straighten them right back out

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

If you are talking about warping where the reed meets the mouthpiece table I have a couple comments. About all I've found that helps is do sand the bottom flat. For me this works best when the reed is dry. It also seems to be a temporary fix. Reeds that have started to warp seem more prone to the problem even after they have been flattened. Reed holders by themselves haven't made much difference for me. I've had better luck with various methods of keeping the reeds from drying out completely. Lastly some reeds that seem warped are really just half dry and will behave if completely saturated. Soak it overnight and see if it still fails to seal.

Reply To Post

4. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

I've developed my own method over the years. I keep my reeds in individual reed holders (Like the one Vandoren reeds come in), then I put them in a humidor (yes, like for cigars). This keeps them a little bit moist between gigs/ rehearsals and don't completely dry out. Then, while i'm setting up my horns (BTAS), mics, & all that, I take a cup and put one part Listerine to 4 parts distilled water and put my reeds i'm using that night in the cup to pre-soak. This flattens them out nicely. This works better than saliva and even kills any germs on the reed. At the end of the gig, I give the reeds a nice wipe down, then a quick dip in the diluted Listerine solution, put them back into the reed holder, then to their spot in the humidor. I also use a cigar box (Romeo & Juliet's come with the little humidifier in the wooden box). Several tobacco/cigar shops would be ok selling just the box or even giving it away. Also, some cigar boxes come with the dividers for individual cigars...this works nice as I use this to keep my reeds separated (BTAS). Anyways, you won't find this in any of those method books and you band director would never send a kid to a cigar shop, but i've been playing over 14 years now and came up with my own way. I've also heard of guys using sponges in those reed guard cases to keep them moist. Whatever work for you is fine. But to answer your question, the warping of the reed is from the compression that occurs as the reed dries. As it moistens, it should return to the flat state. I've never sanded a reed in my life. -d

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

I've found it easier to just keep my reeds permanently soaked in a small watertight container. I keep a 50/50 mixture of mouthwash-water in it. This has given me the best results with the least fuss. With regard to the cause of warping. I'm not sure it us the solely ther result of compression. Cane is a natural material and not uniform in density. The expansion of the fibers when wet and subsequent contraction as the reed dries can cause the reed to warp. Because the center of the reed is the thickest it is more likely to change dimensions and to a greater degree. Last even though we both appear to agree that not letting the reed dry out is the solution to this, I think that is still a minority view. Many of the players I know and respect feel that letting the reed dry fully prolongs life and results in a better reed. That has not been my experience but I don't want to create the impression that mine is a universally held opinion.

Reply To Post

5. by [email protected]
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

I've recently switched to a Selmer reed case. The reeds are pressed lightly against the glass surface on the inside which helps to keep them from warping as they dry. For general longevity, I've found success in wetting, briefly playing, and allowing reeds to dry out in the case a few times before actively playing them. this keeps them from warping so much in the future. Sometimes, I'll also let the reed dry while on my mouthpiece. That way it does its warping to the shape of the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by CajunSax
      (76 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah peter - Contraction would be a better word. I've noticed different "warp" patterns with the V16 & Java's as opposed to the blue or green Vandorens. I guess it is because of the steeper cut... anyways...the water tight deal sounds good. But I tell you I've developed a taste for a reed with a cedar/listerine flavor, and i like that smell when I open up that humidor...woo hoo!!! Now...nlyons...leaving the reed on the mouthpiece will cause your reed to get that semi-permanent U-shape molded into the reed (and i do mean 'mold'). I'm huge on keeping my mpc clean & dry after a set...don't want to be blowing thru a petri dish the next set. It will still warp between the "U" and the tip (that area is called the 'table' i think?) anyways, so although it sounds effective, it is usually the result of being too lazy. But again...like peter was saying, what works for some may not be the same for many. just keep playing

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by FredCDobbs
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. As with everything else about the saxophone, there are many viewpoints. I'm not up to keeping reeds in a special solution. I think my best bet is to just make sure that I get the reed good and wet before playing. More patience is probably the answer.

Reply To Post