Saxophone Forum

by Mook
(6 posts)
19 years ago

What inspired you to play the tenor sax?

This is how it happened:I was walking on the streets of Washington D.C. when I saw an old man who had no home no nothing. He was playing the tenor sax. The sound was was so beautiful! I was certainly touched finding my one true sax! How about you??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What inspired you to play the tenor sax?

when i was very young, my dad gave me "in a silent way." So after listening to jazz, i wanted to play sax. In third grade, i started playing clarinet. Then in sixth grade, my band director asked if i'd learn tenor for jazz band. So i did. Then in sophomore year of high school, i realised I was really a soprano player.

Reply To Post

2. by xBabysaxgirLx
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

They said I couldn't do it. So I did it.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Josh Redman. I played with him and got to see him perform and he sounded so awessome on his tenor, figured I'd have to get one and compare it to playing my alto

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

my Mom had the albums "Kind of Blue" and "Stan Getz and JJ Johnson live at the Opera House". Wonder where I developed the love for tenor(and alto, for that matter. Cannonball rules!)

Reply To Post

1. by nectarios
        (20 posts)

19 years ago

John Coltrane is the reason I started playing the sax.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman1990
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

I was inspired to play, when at my sister's graduation the jazz band played for her school and I heard the tenor play. I thought it was the coolest sound ever.

Reply To Post

3. by bebogle
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

My dad had a huge record collection and one of his favorite tunes was "Four Brothers" by Woody Herman's band. I was so intrigued by the fact that it was played by three tenor players and a bari. I set out to find out what I could about those guys. Turns out the section included Stan Getz and Zoot Sims. I suddenly had my heroes. BB

Reply To Post

4. by streetSax570
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

No way! The same exact thing happened to me !!! And dude im not kidding

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I remember listening to Boots Randolph records when I was a kid, and Stan Getz, and listening to my dad play sax on occasion. I just thought it was the coolest instrument in the world! I started on Clarinet in 5th grade when I was 10 years old. I played around with dad's old tenor at home, and after the Clarinet got knocked off a table by the fat tuba player, I started dragging the tenor to school at age 11. The key word here is dragging, because the case was so heavy!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Tenor? well I already was playin bari so why not? Sax in general my Dad played

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

I started as a flutist, then started alto in junior high. I became obsessed with playing Charlie Parker tunes along with the records and out of the real book. I was already getting a big sound out of the alto, but at 6'1" and 200 pounds as a 14 year old, I needed a bigger horn for my sound. I just bought Coltrane's album "Crescent" and I went out and bought my King Super 20 Tenor. I chose it over a Selmer Mark VI because it sounded fuller all over the horn. My main voice was my alto for years later. Not until my "adult" life have I come to the conclusion that I was always a Tenor player. It's like an extension of my body.

Reply To Post

2. by musickman
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

I played Alto and Bari all through high school, except for a six month stint on Tenor during concert season. I wasn't really impressed with the Tenor. However, after 22 years, I decided to give it another try. I rented a low end student model Jupiter and played it in church. The response to it was so overwhelming that I decided to start playing it more regularly, using on songs where it was a stretch to get my Soprano into the lower ovtaves. I think that i'm gonna stick with it!

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
            (131 posts)

19 years ago

Saxophone in general - was inspired by a friend of mine who wanted to see the vintage alto that had been sitting in the corner of my parents room for the last 25 years untouched. I got it out, paid myself (my parents didn't think I'd actually play the thing) to get it fixed, and started listening to Joe Snidero comp. Cd's and playing along. So Giacomo Smith if you read this blog. You are the reason why I play saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

After playing alto for 20+ years, I thought "why not" and bought one off eBay. That's when the sickness really took hold. Next thing I knew, the buggers were multiplying in my closet.

Reply To Post

1. by argonne
                (24 posts)

19 years ago

As a kid, I was always concious of the sax for reasons unbeknownst to me (including bad 80's rock and homeless players on the street). When I expressed interest in the 6th grade they stuck me with a clarinet and the promise of a sax after a year. After a year of no squeaks I still didn't get the sax so I quit. 10 years later I somehow (again, unbeknownst to me) started to develop an ear for jazz and happened to hear a Lester Young song on the radio and after hearing him play enough times I figured I had to give it another shot. This time I went right out and bought myself a tenor.

Reply To Post

2. by jaggtagg7
                (40 posts)

19 years ago

hmm. i too was started as a clarinetest, b/c an alto would cost too much. but i did like playing the clarinet and never thought of playing alto sax again untli 9th grade, 5 years later, when i took lessons over the summer from my schools band director, who is a sax player. then just this year i played bari for school concert, and i just bought my first soprano sax. and tenor is next on the list after i work w/ soprano for a while, maybe next spring.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Candyboy
                (77 posts)

19 years ago

My grandfather was a piano player and square dance caller. He wound up with a Holton C-mel after a good poker hand one night. I bought a tenor reed put it on the old ceramic/lead mouthpiece and played part of "joy to the world" a three dog night song that was popular at the time. I was in first grade. He gave the sax to me and I wore out the springs playing it. By then I was in the fourth grade music class and my teacher was transposing flute music for me (I guess bringing it down an octave). I remember playing the Holton with rubber bands on it to do the work of the springs.Another kid had a rented tenor that he let me play.We both knew that I could play better that he could, so after that, I begged my parents to rent me a tenor.They wouldn't budge,but then my band teacher found the money to buy a new Vito for the school. I played it till I graduated high school.Then my parents bought me a new Yamaha yts-61 that I payed all through college. I still have the Holton and the Yamaha
                Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

4. by EL Seano
                (255 posts)

19 years ago

I have 3 holy, great fantastic words for you. JOHN WILLIAM COLTRANE (RIP 1926-1966)

Reply To Post

5. by TANGO SIX ONE
                (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar state: Sound ,shape they are synonomous.When Adolf Sax invented the thing, he could never of dreamed of what people could do with it. He died before hearing some of the greatest music ever.There is an element in a saxophone which taps into the rebel in all of us. Unwittingley the saxophone is desighned for for jazz.Its so brilliant that we believe that can it can be used to be the ultimate in being the highest form of exeqution on a musical instrument. The ultimate in freedom of Expression. That is of course that you do enough in your life to have the experience to tell a good story.( Bird lives)

Reply To Post

6. by The_§ax
                (147 posts)

19 years ago

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Reply To Post

7. by The_§ax
                (147 posts)

19 years ago

My uncle plays Jazz and Blues guitar around bars and restuarants in town. I really look up to him, so maybe thats why i took the path of Tenor and Alto Saxophones!

Reply To Post