Saxophone Forum

by incubeek8
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Best sax $500-$600??

I played sax in school and want to get back into it, but am not able to spend a whole lot on it. Any info as to the best sax for $500-$600? Im looking to get a quality alto with the best sound possible, used or new. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by i just play
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best sax $500-$600??

hello incubeek, Contact Dave Kessler at kessler music in Vegas, or look for a early vito special which is a beauganier stencil which is actually made in france. I just picked one up off the bay and it plays like a striped ass ape. Be careful of ebay though. Some treasure and lots of trash. Good luck

Reply To Post

2. by saxophones_rock
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

I would check Ebay. I was able to get a professional Antiqua Winds alto for $499. Pretty good if you ask me ;)

Reply To Post

3. by streetSax570
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

My friend bought the alto sax for $500 and you should see his sax! He can't even reach a high note! SO if you ask me get one that is over $1,000 or more.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

incubeek - please check you email. I have a couple very reliable solid altos in great cosmetic condition that fit your needs. And they didn't come off the slow boat from China.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

For an awesome sax in your price range, check out Dave Kessler's stuff, he wont sell you anything that is junk! www.kesslermusic.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I was just in Herter Music in Flint, MI earlier today, and they had some really good deals on some used Selmer TS and AS horns in your price range. Give them a call (810)732-7720 and let them know what you're looking for. I couldn't believe some of the end-of-season prices they had on their stuff!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by incubeek8
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

I came accross a Simba brand and a Monique brand sax, anyone have any experience with either of these? They are both well within my price range and look like solid instruments.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Neither of them are very good brands. I think the Winstons are ok, and they're pretty cheap, but I wouldn't waste my money on a Simba or Monique. The quality and craftsmenship just isn't there.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

Have you guys gone insane!! Get an old vintage instrument off ebay or another site (maybe more trustworthy than ebay). The bueschers are nice and really cheap! You could find a Buescher 400 on ebay for $500-$600 really easily after a week or two, a lot of things off ebay do need a bit of repair after you get them, but the local technician can handle them for a cheap price.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

True, The Sax, that's the way I would go, but maybe locally so I could see just what I was getting into. Try the big music stores and repair shops- sometimes you can find one that hasn't been through the shop yet. Always get the best piece you can. And while we're at it , nobody's mentioned King Cleveland. Can be found at reasonable prices, and while not a Super 20, they give you good boogie for the buck.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Typically yes, I recommend buying vintage, but you have to be really careful what you buy on ebay. Sure, there are some nice horns, but many of those old horns need a lot of work, and saxophone repairs can be expensive! As for finding a Buescher 400 for less than $600; the chances of finding one for less than $600 that doesn't need an overhaul are pretty slim! Perhaps you might find one of the post-Selmer models in decent shape for $600-$800, but a good vintage Top Hat & Cane will cost a few bucks, as will a Conn 6M/10M, King Super 20 or Zephyr. A good vintage Conn to consider would be an early (pre 1970 or "N" prefix) Director's model 14M alto/16M tenor. The King 613's and Clevelands would be a good choice, or a Buescher Aristocrat. If you prefer a new sax, I wouldn't consider anything less than the Winston though. The Antiqua Winds Saxophones are pretty good for the money also. They are Taiwanese made. Rather than invest $600 now in a horn that you will probably want to upgrade in a few years, I would suggest looking into something like the Yamaha 475, which is an intermediate level horn and would most likely serve your purposes for many years or even your lifetime. I believe the 475's run around $1600 alto, $1850 tenor.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

19 years ago

Vintage saxes have the advantage of knowing that they used to work. You can get a really nice C mel for $600 Half way between Alto and tenor. A cheap sax will be fine for a while as long as you check it works, before you leave the store!!! You can't buy cheap without checking!

Reply To Post