Saxophone Forum

by Saxreunion
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Please help me get reacquainted with my old sax

I am 45 years old. Played from 6th grade and into college. Haven't played in 22 yrs. I have an old Bundy alto that I played in the '70's. I want to relearn before buying right now, but I was never happy with the tone. What can I do to this horn temporarily to get at least some type of improved tone? Mouthpiece suggestions? I like everything from pop, rock, to light jazz. I am also looking to rent a tenor and see what I want to buy first. What do you recommend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Please help me get reacquainted with my old sax

First, make sure the horn is in good repair. Leaks and bad adjustment can make life hard. Get yourself a good mouthpiece and reed. A hard rubber Otto Link is a trustworthy piece that gives good boogie, or if you don't want to spend that much, a Rico Royal graftonite. Since you're just getting back into it, don't go too extreme with a large tip opening ( or on the graftonite, a small chamber). Just sorta keep it "medium". Connsaxman Jim will probably have some good advice for you- how 'bout it Jim? Anyway, best of luck in your endeavor!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxreunion
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I really want to do this. If it takes, I'll buy a real nice one.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

Oh and Saxreunion - I'm glad your picking up your horn again, but I would politely like to say that you don't need to double post - a lot of people read all the forum areas, so your question will get answered.

Reply To Post