Saxophone Forum

by xBabysaxgirLx
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Dents

I know that dents look bad, but do they actually affect your sound that much? Besides, being near impossible to play, my student loaner sax looks like it was run over by a cement truck. How much of a problem is this? I've had it repaired before, but they weren't able to do much....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Dents

The knights templar state:Depends where the dents are but in the main dents should be no problem to playing.However the sax has to seal properly , and to be set up properly .With a lot of experience a player can work round certain leaks but it still makes it a nightmare for everyone. If you have any small dent on the the crook where it fits onto the sax to tighten it up, this is crucial, that can cause all sorts of things to happen and may not even be noticeable. It sounds to the knights templar that you would greatly benefit from getting your ou horn sometime.Good luck with that (Bird lives)

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

it depends on how big the dents are. a safe bet is that the dents aren't affecting your sound

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Exactly. Really it depends on how big the dents are and where. Dents to the neck, or dents that effect the tone holes can cause problem. Dents to the neck can effect the pitch and intonation because of the small diameter of the neck. And, as Tango said, the pads need to seal, and if the dents are effecting the tone holes; making them unlevel, then obviously that's going to cause problems. Dents in the bow and bell typically have very little effect on the sound or intonation; they just look terrible.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Don't worry about how your horn looks. Worry about how it plays. Your ears will tell you if the sound is there or not. My first tenor, which was a Conn 16M, had a dent in the neck. It fell into my music stand :( My teacher borrowed a tenor, which was a 10M, for a show he had to do. He put my neck on the 10M and it sounded better than with the original neck. What i am trying to say is, if your horn sounds ok don't sweat it. Someday you will have a new horn, and you will laugh at this!!!! I really adnire your spirit and i hope that you stick with it. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

19 years ago

Yes worry about how it sounds. If there are dents close to and around the tone holes then this can warp the tone holes creating a leak, thats bad. My sax has a little dent in the neck witch doesnt effect playability at all.

Reply To Post