Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

Still gigging with my YAS-23! And proud!

Why should I pay $4K for a Selmer or $2K for a YAS-62? Over the last couple of years, while searching for a new alto I grow more impressed with my current YAS 23 which I have owned for more than 10 years. Its a still great sounding horn! I use a Brilhart mouthpiece, and 2H rico jazz reeds with my new clip-on mic. I'll go toe to toe with any high end Selmer or any other over priced/rated horn. I only wish my horn had brass vice nickel keys.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_§ax
    (147 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Still gigging with my YAS-23! And proud!

You should be proud!!! A lot of the time its the player and not the instrument

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

I dumped my Selmer III for a YAS-23. Now my heart has turned to JK's, and the 23 is in the hands of a budding player. In good repair, you can't get a better horn for the money. The only reason they don't cost more is because there's so many of them out there.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

Get rid of a slemer (don't care if it's a bundy) for a yas23?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I am totally dead serious. The Selmer III was a very beautiful and great playing horn, but the Yamaha was an awesome player and I liked the intonation better. Here's my "old" Selmer III: www.saxmaniax.com/sax/as03.htm And here's the YAS-23 (1980's vintage) that beat it out: www.saxmaniax.com/sax/as07.htm But now I'm on an SX90R, and I'm done looking for probably the rest of my life. Switching all my other horns over to SX's eventually, too...

Reply To Post

2. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

It is possible to use a yas23 and have a good tone, i would know the first sax i ever played was a yas23 - and i created a great tone for a beginner horn.

Reply To Post