Saxophone Forum

by jbroad572
(46 posts)
19 years ago

It's frustrating not being able to speak

I know it will take awhile to get to the point where I can play what's going on in my head, but it seems so far away. I'm still learning my scales and can play them slowly and still have to think about playing the Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, and B major scales. The others I have down pretty much, but can't play them that fast. I know I need to work on arpeggio's and learning the chords. Does it get easier? Can you guys play through all the scales as fast and as easy as it is to play the C-scale? I play at church on Wed and Sunday night and most of what I play gets so repetitive , but that's because I'm not really sure how to play with the chord changes and what I can play. Since I can't play very fast I'm limited to just a few notes and holding them out. Every once in awhile I can get a few phrases down though. What frustrates me is the point that while listening to music I can hear exactly what I want to play, but I get the sax and I'm just like a deer in head lights. I know it will get better, but sheesh the road looks so long. Just wanted to post and see if any of you went through something similar.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: It's frustrating not being able to speak

ditto on feeling that on occasions. Scales will get faster, its just practice. keep on trying and invariably you will get better. Time and practice are the keys to everything I think.

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

When it comes to anything that you have difficulty on, there is one simple rule. PRACTISE SLOOOOOOOOOOWLY. You simply can't be expected to rip all those scales/modes or chord changes at like 200 a minute. one time i spent 3 hours just learning majors sloooooowly, trust me, it works. I can rip em now :-)

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

19 years ago

Practice every single day, starting slowly and then building up your speed. I do believe that practice and time are the keys in saxophone playing. I am working on playing whats in my head also, i find it difficult, I have been told to learn all the scales and chords etc... It's going to take a while.

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

haha.. again, practice... My instructor made me practice my I recommand only for one full yr. Ya, so all the different major/minor scales, chromatics, appregios, interval studies r pretty easy now.. i also agree playing wats in ur head is difficult.. i have resorted to hymning..

Reply To Post

2. by KingNecron
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

I've played sax in church almost since I've been playing sax, and, trust me, it will come to you. One of the best things to come from it is that I have a more sensitive and alert ear and I can transpose from concert pitch (piano music, etc.) to Bb (tenor sax) without even thinking about it (the trick is to be aware when you're playing from a hymnal, for example, and when you're playing orchestrated music). As for the scales, do what these other guys told you--learn them as quickly and as proficiently as possible. I learned that the hard way--early in my high school years I felt that scales were obsolete, and even came up with some lame theory justifying myself. But if you ever want to do ANY music theory, much less play chord changes in church, you MUST learn your scales. Private lessons will help with this immensely. Keep up the good work, though, and keep playing in church. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, my man--those few extra hours of practice on Sunday and Wednesday night will really pay off.

Reply To Post AIM