Saxophone Forum

by Jellybean666
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Fingering {how wrong does that sounds eh?}

Sorry, i hate that word, but anyway, not the point... I have been playing the alto sax for about 6 months, and i picked it up quite quickly since i play the flute and the fingering is about the same, however, i prefer the sound of a tenor, but was told the fingering was different, and i dont have the time or brain capacity to remember fingering for a completely different instrument... But recently someone told me that the info i had been given was incorrect and the tenor has the same fingering as the alto... Is this true??? I woulds also like to try my hand at the soprano sax, but again... is the fingering the same.... Pleeeeeeeease let me know, cheers!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Fingering {how wrong does that sounds eh?}

Jellybean, Your original info was indeed wrong. The fingerings for soprano, alto, tenor, etc. are all the same. The horns are pitched differently, but a Bb fingering on one is the same as a Bb fingering on any of the others. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by Jellybean666
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

Yay!! Thank you!! Now i can play!!.... all i need is a tenor and a soprano... hummm... to ebay!!! *runs off followed by the men in white coats*

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

19 years ago

riiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhtt Men in white coats??

Reply To Post

1. by Jellybean666
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Yeeea, the men in white coats, they've been after me for ages... keep trying to take me to a padded cell... it would be fun, but there is a severe lack of sharp, pointy objects...

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldnt get a horn of ebay, i made that mistake once. goto saxophones.co.uk

Reply To Post

3. by Jellybean666
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Why?? wots up with saxes off ebay??? I know it wont be as good as if i got one from a more reliable source, but im just getting it becuase i wanna play it, heh, i aint gonna do grades, and i dont know if i'll be any good at it... Im just gonna play for my own enjoyment really... might switch to tenor in the school band... but thats bout it, heh.... What happened when you got yours off ebay??

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buying horns off ebay

I've had both good and bad experiences buying off ebay. I have sold a few on ebay too. The problem is that most people have no idea what they are selling. I have seen C Melody saxophones sold as tenors or altos, and all sorts of stuff. I collect vintage saxophones, so I check out ebay often just to see what's being sold. I found a Conn F Mezzo soprano being sold as "Old Conn Alto Saxophone" Of course, most people have no idea rather it is playable or not. It might need a complete overhaul. Generally, I expect to put a couple hundred dollars into any horn I buy from ebay, and always ask questions. I ask for the serial number and any numbers or letters engraved on the sax, like an A for alto, a T for tenor or a C, L or LP for low pitch, etc. Ask if it comes with a case and a mouthpiece, and any other accessories. Just be careful what you buy, and for God sakes, don't buy one of those cheap Chinese horns for less than $500!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

the fingerings r the samw but the scales r diff.. tenor's doe is on its C, while alto is on its G.

Reply To Post

6. by Jellybean666
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Are the chiniese one's any good at all, cos i've just checked where the one i was thinking of was from, and its going for £62 with 2 hours left.... Is it worth getting it??? And im pretty sure its a tenor... it looks like one at least, lol...

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't buy one of the Chinese horns. Taiwanese maybe, But, the quality of the Chinese horns is very poor.

Reply To Post Yahoo!