Saxophone Forum

by mojocoggo
(97 posts)
19 years ago

Best new Baritone

I would like to get some opinions on what is the best new baritone sax on the market right now. I am looking at the Yamaha YBS-62 (in silver... it says they make it in silver plate on Yamaha's website but I have yet to hear of one or see one), the Yanagisawa B-901 or B-902 (also in silver), or maybe a Keilwerth SX90(R).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by 1son
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best new Baritone

I currently own 2- B991s, and 3 12Ms. I have previously owned a Vito (not the yana), 2 SX90's, a YBS52 and YBS 62, and Couf superba 1. My advice- play them all. The Keilwerths feel and sound VERY different from the others. I didn't like the sound of the Yamaha. I use the B991 most of the time because it has the most comfortable keywork to me. I have played the B992 (the 902/992 are BRONZE not silver). I can't tell the difference in sound. I can't tell the difference in terms of sound between the SX90 and SX90R either. I will say, my 12Ms are silver. When they're polished they're beautiful. The rest of the time they're kinda ugly. Something to think about unless you buy lacquered silver. Play them all. Go with what you like in terms of sound and feel. You're going to play them not look at them. You're the one that has to make music with it.

Reply To Post

2. by simonknight
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

Baritones are prone to mechanical problems because of their size. I have found he B991 to be the most reliable and well built bari - the sound is great also. A leaky, out of alignment bari is the most miserable thing to play - so avoid anything cheap or beat-up. Try Yani, selmer (very variable quality), yamaha, Keilworth.

Reply To Post

3. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, just as a note, be really careful about buying baris from anyone. Theres not a big market for them, so most places dont care about keeping them up to par. I played a fwe from wwbw, yamaha, yani, selmer, and they all had been sitting in the warehouse for at least a year. Im still looking for a bari, and might go with a used horn, just so i can get a breakdown of its specific problems from whoever owns it. Unless anyone has a better idea?

Reply To Post