Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

unique Sanborn sound

How does Sanborn achieve his unique sound on his alto? Yes...i know its mostly from years and years of practice, but he must be using some sort of electronics to achieve that unique pitch. Any idea of what type of mic, amp, reverbs he uses to achieve his pitch? I know he uses a dukoff mp on his mk VI. When Candy Dulpher came onto the scene her sound was very similar to DS. Not sure of her setup. Yesterday I came across a CD from Angella Christie.....She's only been playing the sax a few years and her sound is very Sanborn like. Actually better. She also uses a dukoff mp on her JK alto. What electronics can I use to improve my sound?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KingNecron
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: unique Sanborn sound

I can't really make any suggestions (sorry, dude), but I'm interested in this myself. The thought of electronic manipulation of the saxophone sound intrigues me--I'm especially interested in hooking a mike to a guitar effects pedal or some other sequencer. Sadly, my knowledge of electronics is lackluster at best. So, how about it, sax fools? Me and saxitup want to know what's up.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by KingNecron
      (76 posts)

19 years ago

mike=mic; sorry about that.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by bmcguire
        (45 posts)

19 years ago

Well, David uses a Dukoff Metal mouthpiece. Normally I don't preach equipment as the key to your sound, but that setup is a big part of his sound. Also, if you've ever watched him play, look at the neck angle that he has. It's almost like a clarinet mouthpiece position. When I need to have that kind of sound, I do have a more clarinet like neck angle. Also, you need lots of air to have a big powerfull sound like that. With all of that said, the BEST way to sound like somebody (nobody wants to be a copycat, but I found my personal sound by first sounding like Gerald Albright, Sanborn, Whalum, Cannonball, Desmond, and through that came my voice) is to LISTEN and play along with them. One of my favorite excercises is to put my Sax playlist (love MP3s, great for playing along) on random and just blow. I play a Beechler M8M and go from Take 5 to Cannonball to Snakes to Jonny hodges. I hate to be cliche, but think the sound and it will come out that way.....

Reply To Post