Saxophone Forum

by reyjr
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Top Music Colleges?

I'm signing up for scholorships and they asked me what college or university i want to go. i was wondering, what are the top music schools in the u.s.? please help me out.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KingNecron
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Top Music Colleges?

The University of South Carolina here in Columbia, South Carolina has an excellent school of music, and if you're on sax you'll take lessons from Dr. Clifford Leaman who is very well-renowned. Also, Bert Ligon is our Professor of Jazz Studies; I played in jazz band my freshman year and took his Jazz Theory I class--both were excellent, and Bert is a great teacher. Good luck looking for schools! You can visit the USC website at www.sc.edu.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by dbennett79
    (1 post)

19 years ago

New England Conservatory and Manhattan School of Music have the best saxophone departments. Everyone wants to go to New England Conservatory to study with Jerry Bergonzi, Ken Radnofsky, and George Garzone. It's one of the only schools where you can split your lessons between jazz and classical.

Reply To Post

3. by mojocoggo
    (97 posts)

19 years ago

Julliard is apparrently the best in the country for music, but very expensive and hard to get into. Stanford's marching band does lots of fun[ny] stuff... and I think Yale has a subcontrabass tuba that's like 6-7 feet tall ;-)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by syrasax
    (75 posts)

19 years ago

Here in upstate New York there are a few. Ithaca College, Crane School at SUNY Potsdam, Eastman School at Univ of Rochester and Syracuse University . . . all good.

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, Crane is supposed to be great. They have a camp there in the summer that I couldn't get into because there were too many alto players that wanted to get in. Berklee also has a great reputation for jazz studies and music education.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

Michigan/Michigan St are excellent. Indiana U. should go without saying, as should N. Texas. Manhattan School is also very good

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Michigan State is a great college. My dad studied music there, and my sister graduated from Michigan State. Ohio State, and Purdue are all great schools for music.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxitup
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Shennandoah Conservatory in West VA is a good music school, so I'm told.

Reply To Post

1. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

Actually Shenandoah Conservatory is in Winchester, VA not WVA (although it is about 10miles from WV) and as an alumni of SU it is an extradordinary school for Saxophone and Jazz studies. I also found that it had a great balance of country and city living. D.C. is only a 45 minute drive (blues alley anybody?) The biggest reason to attend however is Joeseph Eckert the saxophone instructor. He is recently retired from the Lead Alto position of the Airmen of Note, the militiaries premier big band and has traded fours with every imaginable big name cat out there. The reason why he is the best is how he teaches, and he's as good on classical as he is on Jazz. I owe everything I can do on the Saxophone to this man. Please PM or email me if you would like to know anything else about Joe, or the School.

Reply To Post

2. by jromain
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

If you're a saxophonist, the question isn't what the best music school in the country is (much too general--ethnomusicology? organ pedagogy?), but rather who the best teachers and performers are that you would wish to study with. Obvious ones include Hemke, Rousseau, Richtmeyer, Luloff, etc. Of course, it depends on whether you wish to pursue classical performance, jazz, or an even combination of both. Those I've mentioned are among the most renowned classical performers and teachers (there are many others well worth considering!), but a jazz perspective might direct you more towards Manhattan School (Dick Oatts), North Texas (Jim Riggs, who plays and teaches both "sides" of the horn terrifically), or Northern Colorado, to name but a few. Once you answer a few of those questions for yourself, set up a time to audition in person and get a sample lesson. It's very important to find out what their teaching style is like, and if it's a good "fit" for your desires and goals. Best- JR

Reply To Post

3. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

if you play jazz sax, Northern Iowa is your best bet.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

In my state of Pennsylvania, Mansfield University is a wonderful music college. But I'd so love to go to Berklee...maybe, we shall see. You'd be playing with some real cats out at Berklee.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

Michigan's good. Donald Sinta is one of the best classical sax players I've heard.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

Michigan's good. Donald Sinta is one of the best classical sax players I've heard.

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

I know your not in Australia, but WAAPA (Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts) is world renowned (in other words, AWESOME)

Reply To Post