Saxophone Forum

by MisterNixter
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Armstrong 3010 Alto sax

I'm a 52 year old beginner, and just purchased two used horns after a lifetime of wanting to play the sax. One is a Conn alto that I was told was made in the early to mid-1970s (does not have an M in the serial number, which I was told means it was made before production went to Mexico) and the other is an Armstrong 3010 alto. The Conn is in much better shape appearance-wise, while the Armstrong has some finish wear and a few very minor dings and scratches. But the Armstrong seems to have the better sound to my very untrained ear. Can anybody give me any info on the Armstrong model 3010 horns? I paid $250 for the Conn with case and goodies, and $100 for the Armstrong, with case. The case looks like new and is marked Armstrong. I don't think I got hurt too badly on either horn to use as a raw beginner.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Armstrong 3010 Alto sax

I'm not too familiar with the Armstrong 3010, but the older Armstrong saxophones were decent horns. What's the serial number on the Conn? Is it stamped Mexico? I can look it up for you and give you an idea when it was made. Try swapping the mouthpieces with the Armstrong and see how the Conn sounds.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by MisterNixter
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the offer on the serial number. The Conn is stamped Conn USA and has what looks like stars on it. Serial Number is L69342

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That would be a 1967 Conn 14M alto; made in Elkhart, Indiana. Good horn

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm sorry. 1967 would be K. It's a 1968. M would be 1969, N 1970. Yours was still made in Elkhart.

Reply To Post Yahoo!