Saxophone Forum

by Saxdragon
(22 posts)
19 years ago

Opinions on Blessing and Woodwind brand altos

Hi everyone. I want to buy my son a better alto. He's been using the old Buescher Aristocrat student model on which I learned to play back in the early 60's. Does anyone have any experience with the Blessing 202 or the Woodwind WWASII? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxdragon
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

correction

probably not an "Aristocrat" unless there's a student model Aristocrat.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Re: correction

There is such a thing as a student model Aristorcrat...our lead alto plays one and as far as I'm concerned she doesn't even deserve to hold a saxophone but we won't go there. The Blessing saxophones are pieces of junk IMO. Woodwind might be of better quality but I'd be leery. A great horn at a great price for a beginner is the Yamaha YAS-23. I know plenty of people who will back me up on this, and I have played plenty of 23's and all have performed flawlessly. I'd go with that!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If the Buescher is an Aristocrat, they're pretty good horns; not student model. The post Selmer models (1964 and later) are not as good as the earlier models. This Buescher, if in good condition, is a far better horn than the cheap Blessing and Woodwind saxophones that are made in China. If you were to upgrade into a better saxophone, I would suggest one of the new Yamaha 62 Series II's. That's probably your best buy in an intermediate -pro level horn. To get a better sax than the Buescher, you're going to pay $2000 or more. If you look on ebay, the vintage horns like your Buescher are selling for more than brand new Blessing and Woodwind saxophones

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Saxdragon
          (22 posts)

19 years ago

We went with the Woodwind. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but my son says it sounds clearer and is easier for him to play than the Buescher, which is the same horn on which i learned to play back in 1961! I also would think it would be better than any new horn (even though it looks really beat up. I played in the marching band through high school). We had it overhauled back in 1998 when he decided to start taking lessons. It's definitely a student horn...it has the chrome-plated keys and rods. But it is an Aristocrat. Maybe it's just due for another overhaul?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Maybe an overhaul; probably just a good adjustment and possibly a couple pads.

Reply To Post Yahoo!