Saxophone Forum

by Jellybean666
(31 posts)
19 years ago

New Tenor

Ok, i've been playing the alto for about 6months now... but i prefer the sound of the tenor... and i was wondering how much a good sax would cost... I was just going to get a cheap one off ebay, but I dont want the hastle of getting it serviced every few months because of its rubbishness! However, i am only 16 and still in full time education so my funds are rather limited, heh... So, am i gonna have to wait till my parents crack, or are there any good tenor saxes out there which arent going to put me in a lifetime of debt???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Tenor

Buescher True tones are great horns and aren't that expensive

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
    (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm having de ja vu.. Oh wait, that's because you (Jellybean) and I are/were in the same boat. My director put me on tenor in the jazz and wind ensembles this year and he let me use the schools tenor (a POS Bundy II...ergh). I was getting sick of it getting sent out to the shop every other month so I finally made the move to get my own. I got a Selmer LaVoix. Go to: www.geocities.com/fishman072003/classic_blue to read my review on it. I got it off of WWBW (www.wwbw.com)...the price on them now I think is around $1,800 but when I got it, it was $300 cheaper. Let me warn you; if you go with some cheapo brand (like Barrington or BandNow or Koehelrt or whatever else) that costs less than $1,000 you're asking for trouble. You can also look into Yamaha. I'd get the YTS-23 if I were you; the YTS-475 is more of a step up from the 23; get that if you're serious. Oh...maybe you should only get the LaVoix if you're serious. That billfold doesn't look too promising. Well, good luck on your saxquest!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

If you're going to spend 1800, I'd go with a YTS62II, I have one of those, and it's a really nice horn. I like it a lot. For less the YTS23 is a great horn that's close to the YTS62II when it's in good condition. The 475 is ok, but I'd probably just buy a YTS23 and put a good mouthpiece on it instead. Yamaha horns are really good. The ergonomics on the horns are really nice, and they stay in tune well. -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by bebogle
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Another horn no-one has mentioned is the yamaha YTS52. It's basically a 62 without the engraving and a lighter lacquer. You can find them for less on ebay and elsewhere since most people consider them a student model. I've used a 52 alto for recording and concerts (classical and jazz) and it's just beautiful. A little brighter than you want, at times, but just fine. I believe they still make new ones, my alto is 25 years old and has hardly ever seen the repair shop. Good luck. BB

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

I second the motion to set this dude up with a YTS 23 and a decent mouthpiece. If you're feeling "saucy", you could try to hunt down a used Keilwerth SX90 in good condition. They aren't hard to come by at a decent price and they are fantastic horns.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

very good horns, but the true tone that I got was 750 - complete with new pads, felts and corks

Reply To Post