Saxophone Forum

by sax101
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Ordered a new soprano. Have a couple of questions about it.

I ordered a soprano sax and I'm waiting to receive it. I read that this might of not have been a good idea concidering im new and soprano is hard to start off with. I have a few questios: Is this a good sax? www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002KX0BY/qid=1118281002/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xglna/103-8635659-0364663?v=glance&n=507846 I play guitar some so ive learned some theory and i figure if i learn a new instrument it'll help me become a better musician. Are there any pointers anyone have on starting the sax or recommend anything (books, accessories, etc).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SheriRDH
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ordered a new soprano. Have a couple of questions about it.

sax101... Try a TIPPS book. It has lots of scalesand other cool stuff. Also visit the following web address: www.saxshed.com it has scales, solos, ect. Good Luck to you

Reply To Post

2. by SheriRDH
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Soprano is a hard sax to start on. Maybe try an alto too.

Reply To Post

3. by sax101
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

link doesnt work try this one instead.

That link doesnt work correctly. This one works www.music123.com/Barrington-Model-502-Soprano-Saxophone-i125664.music

Reply To Post

4. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

I play the soprano all the time and it's no harder to start off with than any other sax. The sax seems good enough considering the reviews it got. Stick with the sax, and good things to practice are scales, and long tones. Emboucher is a thing you're going to have to build up and that can take anywhere from a month to 3 years. It depends on your dedication and if you take lessons or learn by yourself. If financial means allow you to take lessons, i suggest you do it. It makes learning the new instrument less frustrating than if you're by yourself because they'll always be able to help you when you're stuck. Good Luck learning

Reply To Post

1. by sax101
      (10 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your reply West.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Barrington horns are made by LA Sax. I have played a couple of them and they're not bad at all for the money. You may want to have a tech check it over and make a few adjustments if necessary. Sometimes things can get knocked out of adjustment in shipping. But, it looks like you have a good starter horn. Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

19 years ago

you cant go wrong for the money- they look great and dont play too bad at all. for under 300.00 its a steal- so is the band now soprano- i use it as a sub on my professional gigs... you just saved yourself a ton of money.....good job

Reply To Post

2. by sax101
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Is it normal for the aux f key notes to not sound good? the high e f f# using aux f doesnt really change tone like when using it for e to f it sounds more decending than accending... The other way using highe high d and high f keys sound better than using the aux to me, but more difficult.

Reply To Post

3. by saxomaniac
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

To sax101... I think the whole discussion over soprano not being a good sax to "start on" is based on the fact that intonation has typically been difficult to achieve with the soprano across various registers. The fact is, in my opinion, that if you have any music experience and a sense of intonation, give it a try! It can be difficult to acheive perfect pitch on ANY instrument and soprano can be more difficult to learn the centered pitch on, especially when just learning the saxophone. As far as this particular model being a "good one" or not, well... there are awesome student models available, and really shotty pro models. It's like the famed Selmer Mark VI. Many would consider them to be the best saxophone EVER produced, hands down. That may be true for many of the instruments, but I have also learned that there were many VI's which were not nearly as good as some, even making them quite BAD! As for the newer models, I know manufacturing processes produce more "consistent" horns, so you would more typically get the same basic characteristics out of each one. BUT, to get more to the point... Congratulations on your new purchase! I wish you the best in your quest for learning the instrument and this Barrington model should get you started very well! Have fun!

Reply To Post

4. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

In answer to your questions about the high notes, it could very well be the sax. I have a straight Yss-475 and mine can barely get those notes out for some reason. I can play those notes on my other saxes, so it must be the soprano. Could be the same with you too.

Reply To Post

5. by sax101
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Im sorry i keep posting but i notice when i have a A major progression in the back ground the C major scale works nice on my soprano... i figure this is a minor 3rd back... well.. i also heard the soprano is suppose to be a whole step (maj 2nd) So would it be a min3rd or maj 2nd?

Reply To Post

6. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, i can't help with that question. Don't worry about asking questions. these forums are here to discuss, debate, and help.

Reply To Post

7. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

When you play a C on the Soprano, it sounds like a Bb in concert pitch, that's one whole step lower (a major 2nd). I can't imagine a Bb sounding nice next to an A, unless your sacophone is out of tune by a half-step, which could be. You might need to push the mouthpiece on further to get it to concert pitch for a soprano.

Reply To Post