Saxophone Forum

by SheriRDH
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Novice sax player- where do we begin?

My son has been playing alto sax for the last three years- He is progressing very well in his scholol band and was asked to join symphonic and jazz band a year early. We have done the stupid, stupid instrument rental thing for a while...It looks like he is going to stick with it. I know NOTHING about instruments... What are some reliable brands that we could purchase? Is it worth a bigger investment in a vintage instrunet if he plans on continuing into college? If so, what brands are reliable or would be worthy fixer uppers? I would love some suggestions from any of you very knowledgable folks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Novice sax player- where do we begin?

Vintage instruments are generally less expensive than new instruments, not more expensive (with a few exceptions, of course). It is definitely worth it to get a vintage horn. Here are some reliable vintage pro models. Conn 6M, Conn (Chu Berry) New Wonder Series II, King Super 20, King Zephyr, Buescher "Top Hat & Cane", "The Martin Alto", Martin Magna, Couf Superba I. I based the above suggestions on the fact that your son will be playing in the jazz band. They are more jazz-oriented horns. Most of the horns listed can be bought between $1000 and $2000, whereas almost all new pro model saxes cost over $3000. If your son does not already use a jazz mouthpiece, I suggest the following: JodyJazz Classic or HR* Phil Barone New York model Otto Link Tone Edge Meyer The prices of the mouthpieces above are approximately: JodyJazz: $127 Phil Barone: $150 Otto Link: $70 Meyer: $85 The only way for your son to figure out which sax/mouthpiece combo is right for him is to try a whole bunch of different models. They all have distinctly different feels, timbres, tone colors, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

From my personal experience, you can't buy a better alto than a Conn 6M! They are absolutely fantastic. The action is very good, but they just sound amazing! I've played several alto saxophones, new and vintage and the 6M is still my favorite. I'd be more than happy to keep a look out for one for you.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxomaniac
        (14 posts)

19 years ago

Question for connsaxman_jim... I am just learning about more of the older horns lately. Is that Conn 6M the one with rolled tone holes? The more I learn, it sounds like they were definitely some of the best.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I would def look into a old horn, for a few reasons. 1) they are more affordable (as mentioned before) 2) they look a lot cooler than new ones... 3) they have scratches and wear marks to start, so no pressure on taking VERY good care of one. IE a person dosn't have to worry about putting the first scratch in or something. 6M's are great, (i have one) it's a real jazz horn for sure, and works pretty good for concert band. also, you could "invest" that 2k saved into a tenor/sop/car/booze whatever. =) but whatever you do, don't get your heart set on one horn or model. Have him play as many as he can and go with whichever is best. as for mpcs... I'm not an expert. good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

Finally, check on whether there is a decent purchase agreement from the people you've been paying rent to all these years. Some dealers will apply every bit of rent towards the purchase of the horn he's been using.

Reply To Post