Saxophone Forum

by matrixevltn
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Thinking of buying a used proffessional Tenor Sax--- what brand?

The only used tenor availabe in the city I live in is a $500 Armstrong Sax. I have heard that Armstrongs are for intermediate player and have good tone qualities, but I have yet to test it out... I live in small city near Sacramento, Ca--- anyone know of music stores around Sac?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by matrixevltn
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Thinking of buying a used proffessional Tenor Sax--- what brand?

Okay, just did some research... Armstrongs are made for younger players, that so keys are easier to reach. There may be problems for older players, like me, who have long fingers and may have cramping when touching the keys...

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

Good pro tenors? Selmer MarkIVs, Yamaha Custom Series, Dave Guardala (sadly ceased production) and many more most of these will usually cost you a bloody fortune though

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

As for brands and models, let me add the following: King Zephyr or Super 20, Martin, Conn Chu Berry and 10M, Buescher 400. Also, I hear lots of good things about Keilworth. For a good contact fairly close to you and well worth the trip, try Carole Davis at East Bay Music in Concord, (925) 687-4220. She's very wise in the ways of saxophones, an outstanding tech, and a really valuable connection (as well as a good friend). Tell her Dave from Virginia sent you. Good luck on your quest.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

As for brands and models, let me add the following: King Zephyr or Super 20, Martin, Conn Chu Berry and 10M, Buescher 400. Also, I hear lots of good things about Keilworth. For a good contact fairly close to you and well worth the trip, try Carole Davis at East Bay Music in Concord, (925) 687-4220. She's very wise in the ways of saxophones, an outstanding tech, and a really valuable connection (as well as a good friend). Tell her Dave from Virginia sent you. Good luck on your quest.

Reply To Post