Saxophone Forum

by saxmanryan1187
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Quartet Mouthpieces

I was just wondering if anybody could give me some input on good mouthpieces for Soprano, Alto, and Tenor for use in a jazz quartet. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmanryan1187
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Quartet Mouthpieces

Are metal mouthpieces or rubber better?

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

For alto and soprano, rubber is definitely better. For tenor and bari, from what I've heard, go with metal.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

The material the moutpiece is made of is far less important than the tip opening, length of the lay, baffle and chamber. A metal selmer soloist (if you can find one) is FAR darker than a rubber link. A metal link is FAR darker than a rubber Berg Larsen 110/0 SMS. Try a bunch of mouthpieces. As far as the opinion that metal mouthpieces are harder to play I don't believe that is true. If a mouthpiece is hard to play it is because there is something wrong with it other than the material it is made of. If you are looking for some middle of the road suggestions that aren't high end price wise. Soprano S80- Selmer (facing e- g) Alto Meyer (5-7) Tenor Otto Link (7-8) Bari Berg Larsen 130/0 M These are very commonly used pieces on the various instruments in my experience.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Go Vandoren across the board blending will be easier

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

If the writer means a jazz sax quartet that might have some merit but the reason different mouthpieces became "standard" for different instruments has something to do with the concept of jazz sound for each instrument. By jazz quartet I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they meant a sax and rhythm section. Rather than a sax quartet. The mouthpieces I suggested are middle of the road jazz sounds for each instrument.

Reply To Post

3. by saxmanryan1187
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have a vandoren already on my tenor and it is very loud. I'm looking for a more soft warm mellow tone. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post