Saxophone Forum

by pyro883
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Sax in $1200-$2000 range

I'm looking to buy a quality sax in the $1200-$2000 dollar price range. I've been looking mainly at the Yamaha 62II, Yanagisawa 901, and the Selmer LaVoix. Which do you prefer, or do you have another suggestion.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax in $1200-$2000 range

search the forum, there are tons of questions like this. I'd probably go with the yamaha myself

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

how long have you been playing ? what type of music interests you??

Reply To Post

1. by pyro883
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

I've been playing for 3 years and need a good quality sax for high school.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Don't be afraid but the best value out there is a Mark VII or a Yamaha 62

Reply To Post

2. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Conn 6M. They're some of the best jazz horns out there and are generally found for under $2000. However, if you're absolutely bent on buying a new horn, then get a yamaha 62 or Custom Z.

Reply To Post

3. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

If you're just going to do jazz, pop, R&B and the like, truly, Conn 6M. If you have to do legit too, your needs will be different. There are those that like the Mk. VII, and lots of Yamaha fans out there too. Try some out and see which one suits you.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

will you keep playing into college, and will you be marching or pepbanding? you may want to get a "good" student horn for a while, then step up again in college.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I'd choose the Yani. Three different options, four or more different responses. Which one do you like?

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Conn 6M is the sweetest alto saxophone I have ever played. The sound and intonation are very good. If you are considering a vintage horn, I would highly recommend the Conn 6M. As for new horns, I really don't think you'll find a better value than the Yamaha 62II. They are a very nice pro quality sax for an intermediate sax price. The Yanagisawas are a good horn, but the sound is nothing to get excited about. The Selmer LaVoix horns are a Taiwanese made. The quality control on these Selmers is not the greatest. Personally, I think they're a rip-off, but as I have said many times before, I'm not a Selmer fan.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

obviously u can figure out which one i like.. i love my yani, sometimes i wish i had tried more horns and sometimes i love it.. but it IS a good horn.. its not a horn that a top notch professional would choose most of the time, but its not a horn that a top notch professional wouldnt play.. the sound is like jim sed, nothin to get excited about.. but if ur a good player u can play these horns to death.. the yamahas are very nice horns.. im growing fonder and fonder of them.. when i tried saxes for my new horn i tried the 62II and the custom Z.. both played very well.. very even.. extremely free blowing.. but it seemed like it lackd a certian character.. u heard it and heard.. sound.. wtf does that mean?? whats the difference between sound, and musical notes? dont know that? figure it out.. the 62 was just there.. i played it and it played well.. if u go the yamaha route, get a custom Z.. they play amazing.. if u go the yani route, get the 901 or 902.. id say 901 .. the 902 is like.. the same thing in my eyes..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ