Saxophone Forum

by sax101
(10 posts)
19 years ago

I just got my soprano today and im new.. i have another question.

I was looking at some fingering charts well it said button "B" and "A" pressed will make A note. Well I produced an A note only when I press down the "a" button. Pressin B and A produces sounds a different note. Is this normal for soprano?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I just got my soprano today and im new.. i have another question.

I'm just wondering if you understand what everyone is trying to say. A piano is in what they call "Concert pitch." So is the flute, as well as most of the bass cleff instrument (and percussion.) Other instruments, like the saxophone, are pitched somewhat higher or lower than "Concert pitch." That means when you play a "B" on the soprano, it sounds like an "A" on the piano. That does not mean that you are playing an "A" on the soprano. This means that music for the Soprano saxophone must be written one whole step higher than "Concert Pitch" so that when you play it as written, it will sound right along with the piano. If you are playing off a piano score, and want it to sound right with the piano, you will have to play each note one step higher than it is written. (When a "C" is written, you would play a "D".) Of course, if you're playing without the piano, it doesn't matter that much, what you are playing will just sound a little lower than you're used to. Finally, believe your fingering chart. Finger a "B", and play it, and believe that it is a "B", even though it may sound like an "A". (On an alto, a "B" will sound like a "D"). Good luck. (It may help to take lessons from a person who knows the saxophone, also.)

Reply To Post

2. by selmer 4evr
    (309 posts)

19 years ago

how do you know it is an A remember the soprano is in B flat and that means it is one tone lower than a piano so that a concert A is played as a B and concert C as a D and so on

Reply To Post

1. by sax101
      (10 posts)

19 years ago

so I press the B key and Im really playing an A note.. I press the B A G keys (G) and im really playing an "F" note? Everythings a whole step back?

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
        (55 posts)

19 years ago

No, no, no, you've both got it wrong. He's not talking in concert key, don't confuse the man. You don't call the keys A, B, C, and so on, letters are for the notes. When you press only the first button in the left hand, you should produce a B. First and Second keys=A. First, Second, and third=G, Second only=C, and so on, according to your fingering chart. Are you using a tuner? Don't, it only makes things more confusing. Do you read music? If not, learn. Fingerings are exactly the same for ALL saxophones, whether they be soprillo, F-Mezzo, Subcontrabass, Bari, Tenor, soprano, or anything else.

Reply To Post

1. by sax101
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

well when i press 1st 2nd and 3rd together i get a different note.. when i want an A note i just press the second and its a true A note.. when i press 1st and 2nd its not an A over here..

Reply To Post

2. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

$h!T. I wrote this whole frikin essay explaining and now it's gone because it erased it when i had to log in. Any way, i said i had three beginner books that work just fine and if you want them or have questions about anything, feel free to email me at: [email protected] Welcome to the board

Reply To Post

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Again i ask you how are you determining what note it is? if you are using a tuner you might be confused . Just get a fingering chart and forget what it sounds like. The fingerings are set up so that when you learn one sax you could play them all even though they are in different keys. What will change is the key the music is written . For Alto for instance music will be written a minor third below concert. Make certain that you do not learn with ficticious fingerings as trombonists do.

Reply To Post

4. by saxomaniac
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the above posting... another question though... Do you have perfect pitch? Is that how you are calling each note by a certain pitch? Or is your question more specific to actual fingerings and which buttons to press for each note? I am not really helping here, but thought I'd throw my 2cents in.

Reply To Post

5. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Whatever is telling you this, you just have to forget and learn the right way plain and simple. Selmer 4evr- If sax101 is new at the sax, he might be getting confused by what you're saying. He/she might still be getting used to the basics

Reply To Post