Saxophone Forum

by pyro883
(7 posts)
19 years ago

King Zephyr

I have a King Zephyr that would play fine once i got it repaired. The problem is it looks horrible. I heard if i got refinished it would ruin the sound. Is this true, and if so what are my options?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: King Zephyr

I have a zephyr alto, and It is but ugly. Once you hear the huge sound that horn gives you, you wont care how it looks!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

I heartily agree, Definition! Same with my Super 20 tenor (and my Conn alto). Butt ugly lacquer, awesome sound. I don't care what it looks like, and neither does the audience. If you do get it refinished, be EXTRA CAREFUL about who does the work. You don't want some gorilla buffing it out or a lacquer job with runs in it!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I had my Conn 10M and 6M relacquered. Both of them sound as good as they did when they were new, and the lacquer makes them look like new again. Unless the lacquer is really bad, I wouldn't have it refinished, but if the lacquer is worn off and started to oxidize, then I would probably have it relacquered. The oxidizing can lead to pits in the brass....not good. As blackfrancis said, be VERY CAREFUL who you have refinish it. I've seen more bad relacquer jobs than good ones! The place that I had refinish my horns does really nice work. I had only the body refinished on my 10M and 6M. I only polished the silver keys, leaving the slight finger wear to show that the horn was in fact vintage. The Wind Works in Burton, MI refinished both of my horns. They do awesome work, although they are a little pricey. Talk to Luke Richmond (810)743-5420.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by pyro883
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

I probably won't get it refinished, but it still needs serious repair.

Reply To Post