Saxophone Forum

by west
(242 posts)
19 years ago

Selmers! sort of fits in with Connsaxman's(reasons to hate selmers)

I was just wondering. When check out the modern saxes page in the shop here, most every single one of those is a selmer. Is there a reason? I'm not a fan of Selmer( i don't hate them, but i do like them a bit) , but it seems to me as if some people have found a sax as good as or better than the selmers for a lower price. so i ask, Is there a reason?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmers! sort of fits in with Connsaxman's(reasons to hate selmers)

I think people are discusted by the lack of build quality and performance, and the dull sound of the new Selmer horns. When you pay the Selmer price, you expect a superior horn, but the new Selmers are a joke! That was the case with me. I bought a Selmer Series III Soprano a year and a half ago. I DID play the sax in the store. I didn't really try anything else. The particular store didn't sell Keilwerth, and they didn't have any Yanagisawa's in stock. They had the Series III, a Yamaha, and I think an LA Sax of a Jupiter or something. I asked him what he would sell the Selmer for, and he gave me what I felt was a pretty good deal, so I bought it. Within 2 months, it started falling apart. The cheap pearl inlays falling out, corks falling off, and it needed adjustment. It played worse than my 1925 Conn New wonder Series II Soprano which really needed an overhaul! I took it into the shop THREE different times for adjustments and to have the corks replaced, pearls glued back in, etc. Finally, I bought a Keilwerth and traded the Selmer for a Mint 1949 Buescher 400 TH&C tenor! I have 2 Selmers now. Both French. A 1954 (one of the first 50) Selmer Mark VI tenor (needs a lot of repair though) and a 1952 Selmer SBA alto (great playing horn). The SBA sounds good and plays very well, but it just doesn't sing like my Conn 6M. That 6M just screams, and plays so easy!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

How long have you had the Keilwerth? Is it still holdin up? I ask because i am starting to look at pro altos. I have tried series 3 and an 82z. There were a few notes in the higher range of the 82z that were not very easy to get that the selmer could, but the 82z had a powerful sound. The selmer sound, although warm, seems a might weak. Are there any specific brands and types that i should test out? (I love vintage horns but those are not as easy to get my hands on and play as modern horns) I know i don't want a Selmer because of all these stories, reviews, price boosters and such.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try the Keilwerth SX-90 and SX-90R. I have been very happy with my Keilwerth. I have owned it since January. It plays great, and sounds awesome too. Mine is the SX-90, not the R. I think the R's are pretty cool, but they charge a lot more for them. I have student loans, rent, and a car payment to pay, and now we're talking marriage sometime next spring, so I just didn't want to spend the extra for a soprano which I don't play too often. I never thought I would say this, but another new horn worth checking into is.......yeah, the Cannonball Stone Series. They're pretty nice horns. I played one a while back, and if you closed your eyes, you would swear it was a King Silversonic! It played really easy too. I wouldn't waste my money on a Selmer though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxomaniac
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

Starting to hear a lot of good things floating around about the Cannonball.

Reply To Post

2. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I will try the stone series, but not through samash. The employee behind the counter of the sax section said "you pay half the price for a Pro horn" yah right. the horns i played there were crap, AND they were $2000. I'll try the new one though, and the Keilwerth

Reply To Post