Saxophone Forum

by saxmannwmsu
(48 posts)
19 years ago

Replating a horn?

Ok...kinda different quetsion here. Don't shoot me for asking. It just popped in my mind today at the repair shop and I thought I'd ask a few people on here. I just bought "The Martin Tenor" (not just any old Martin tenor....but THE Martin Tenor...:). Of course, like all Martins, the lacquer is getting kinda shoddy. It still sound GREAT though. My question is, what would happen if I took it to a shop, had them remove the lacquer, and had them silver plate it? Would I still run into the usual problems associated with relacquering (change in tone, timbre, that kinda stuff), or would it be different since it's being plated? Like I said, it's just something I thought about. I'm not gonna run out and do it, so don't slaughter me with "THAT'S BLASPHEMY" or "NEVER RELACQUER YOUR HORN" or blahblahblah... -Wade

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Zheng
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Replating a horn?

its goin to make the horn sounder darker. i say just keep it the way it is. my friend a horn with no laqure on it and it has a nice warm dark tone.(if ur goin for that)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

Actually whether replating or anything else a shop will need to remove some brass before starting the plating ---as a cleaning step -- this will for sure change the sound weather or not you will be able to tell is anyone's guess since you might attribute it to a plating vs laquering symptom

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Actually whether replating or anything else a shop will need to remove some brass before starting the plating ---as a cleaning step -- This is true of REPLATING, but not RELACQUERING. Replating can have much more effect on the sound than relacquering. A proper relacquer would not remove any of the metal. Be careful though, as there are a lot of BAD relacquer jobs! I've had a couple horns relacquered. What they did was the disassemble the horn. I had the sterling silver keys polished and otherwise left alone on both the Conn horns that I had relacquered, The body was then soaked in a citric acid solution that removes ONLY the lacquer. The horn is then chemically cleaned and buffed, carefully relacquered, and then the body baked to cure the lacquer. It's a factory quality finish, and it looks original. I would not relacquer a horn unless much of the lacquer was worn off and the horn was starting to oxidize. I worry about the brass pitting.

Reply To Post Yahoo!