Saxophone Forum

by bariguy
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Flying with my sax

I gotta fly to Chicago next week with my tenor sax. I flew with it once before as checked baggage and everything was fine. But i dont really feel comfortable checking it after i saw my friends bari sax get ruined on the plane. Do you guys have any suggestions for flying with a tenor sax? Maybe i could get it inside the cabin even though it is a little to big... Thanks for any help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k7michal
    (34 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Flying with my sax

I heard of people taking a tenor with them in a hard shell gig bag. I too will be traveling soon and bought a gig bag mainly for that reason, but on the plain ticket it clearly states the dimensions of what I can take, and a tenor gig bag is too big. hopefully they wount bother me about it.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

19 years ago

I have taken my tenor in a Walt Johnson Hard Gig case. Make sure you get seats in the back of the plane so you can board in one of the first groups. This ensures that there will be more overhead. If you have an over the shoulder type case, put it on the shoulder opposite the person taking your ticket and try to keep it more behind your shoulder blade so it doesn't appear that big. If you are harassed insist that it is gate checked, not checked with luggage. The difference is that you can carry it all the way to the plane and leave it at the door of the plane. They put it in a separate area than the luggage and you pick it up at the door of the plane when you arrive--less handling means slightly safer. Good luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by DredSax
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

HI guys. Respectfully I just had to reply to your comment Knorter. I just flew last week. I walked onto the plane, sat down at my window seat, and watched in horror as an attendant took some poor guy's luggage at the gate check in and tossed it down into the holding bin on the ground. It had to be a 1 and a half story drop. The people checking thier baggage at the gate couldnt see them do this because they were boarding the plane. If that had been a horn.....well you can guess what would happen. I wish I had a suggestion for you bariguy but I play alto and soprano on the road so I dont have that problem. But if I did carry a tenor I would put it in a hardshell gig case and take it onto the plane. Again, good luck. --Dred--

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

19 years ago

Dred-- They do horrible stuff to everybodies luggage. I would only gate check if it was my only choice. I always bring it on the plane and have been lucky so far but I know many musicians and have been with bandmates when the airport reps insist that the overhead is full and won't let the instrument on the plane. I meant to gate check as opposed to letting then bully you into checking it at ticketing. I've had friends that have been threatened with being removed from the flight unless they checked their instruments. It is a stressful thing no doubt. By being early and sitting in the back you can almost assure yourself they will let it on the plane.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

what about key clamps, plastic bubble wrap, and duck tape?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by bariguy
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

I got myself a Walt Johnson. Hopefully the flight crew will be nice enough to let me bring it in...or just not notice. But i wanted the protection of a good case just in case things didn not work out. Thanks for the advice.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by yanytenor
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

Both me and my dad play tenor and he goes away with his all the time. The sax has been in the hold and in overhead lockers. The cases get bashed around all the time - at school, at gigs and so on. But are very resiliant. We both use Hiscox Cases, the "Liteflite" one - the pro version is best and holds my sax brilliantly. We have both taken them with us as hand luggage becuase they are much smaller that your usual case and no one seems to mind. Hope that helps - really recommend the Hiscox cases

Reply To Post

5. by rhino2104
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

I know that this is late, but it can still help. You can insist that your sax is gate checked, and then ask the gate attendant if you can have one of the flight attendants store it in the coat closet. There is usually enough room, and more often than not, they will do it for you.

Reply To Post

6. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

When I last flew with my tenor, I wrapped it in socks, bubble wrap, duct tape, more socks, more bubble wrap, more tape, put a few spells on it, took it to a Jewish Rabbi to be blessed, took it to a Catholic Priest to be blessed, took it to a Buddhist Monk to be blessed, took it to a Muslim Alim to be blessed, cleaned it using holy water, Visited some Australian Aboriginals who put hexes on it, and finally, put more bubble wrap on it. And it was fine! :-)

Reply To Post

7. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, I was kidding about the hexes, blessings and spells (however, more than enough prayers were made for it). Just wrap your tenor in any soft material you can find in addition to purchasing one of those hard gigbags mentioned above. Best of luck

Reply To Post

8. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

man yeah tape that sucker. i've been on a plane on a school trip, and the tenor i played at the time(school owned) was being loaded onto the ramp as i watched from the window. the guy tossed it on the ramp(ouch), but it only made it about 1/2way onto the ramp. a little less actually, cuz it made it about 5-6 feet up, fell to the ground. the case busted open, and everything went everywhere. the guy kinda looked at it, put the remains of the main pieces back in the case, and put it back on the ramp. so on a concert trip, i was out a horn, and all of the accessories. a huge downer let me tell ya. i screamed somethin when this happened, and the flight atendant came runnin to me. asked what was the matter. i was kinda speechless, but pointed at the stuff left on the ground, and asked about reimbursement. of course she laughed and walked away. school owned, but still. duct tape would've at least kept that case together. i had told a friend of mine to tape it b4 we left, he agreed, but forgot. i wasn;t mad tho, cuz it was my own stupid mistake. Tape! Bungee! Liquid Nails(kidding)! jus keep it together

Reply To Post AIM

9. by WMcLean
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

For those that are still wondering about this topic, I just flew American Airlines nationally and internationally with my Tenor Sax. On the 800 number they wouldnt say yea or nay, however when I told the lady at the AA counter, she didnt bat an eye and let me carry it on. Planes were full and all - not a problem!

Reply To Post