Saxophone Forum

by kneejerk52
(397 posts)
19 years ago

WINSTON SOPRANO

Has anyone had any experience , knowledge of winston soprano, mod. 350gl. new in case, plays very well for me at least. he said he had five of them, i played two of them and one seemed slightly better up and down the horn. so i chose it. is there a difference between now and five years ago with these horns. winston in piticular.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: WINSTON SOPRANO

I don't know if there's a difference between now and five years ago, but I have a Winston that I purchased used because the price was right. Other than the intonation difficulties, which are indemic to almost all sopranos (the Keilworth I tried in the store was no better), I have no problems with it. I am happy with my Winston Soprano. However, make sure you get the one you like. Play it again before you take it from the store, so it isn't inadvertantly switched with one that is less acceptable.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I almost bought one Kneejerk. I played one and was pretty impressed with it. I don't play soprano very much, so I thought the Winston would probably be good enough. I found a really good deal on a Keilwerth SX 90 though, and bought the Keilwerth instead, thinking it would probably be the last new soprano I will ever buy...why not buy a good one. I am very happy with my Keilwerth, but I would have taken the Winston over my Series III Selmer any day!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

thank you for the response i have it now and am ok with it. i am using a steel ebonite mpc with it, #3 i think. it is ok and still want a better mpc. i am going to take it to a store where they said i can try any of them i want. what will increase the high end response best? small or large opening and what brand do yu recomend. thanks for any response.

Reply To Post