Saxophone Forum

by ebackus
(3 posts)
19 years ago

What model is my Selmer Bari?

Hi, I have a Selmer Paris Baritone Sax with a Low A key, and i was wondering what model it is. Here are some numbers on it: BREV.S.D.G.D.No383.098 ENGL.PAT.No11.824 U.S.PATENT.2.710.558. M.266175 I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me what type of horn I have, I love this thing and would like to know how much it is worth. Thanks, Eric

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmer 4evr
    (309 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What model is my Selmer Bari?

GO TO www.saxworx.com/selmer.htm but your model is a Mark Vi since a Mark VII was never made in Bari

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I doubt it's a Mark VI. It's probably a Super Action.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

266xxx was made in the 70's almost twenty years after super action was stopped what in the world are tou aying connsaxjim ?????

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

ebackus ,,,,,, if the brace from the body to the bell is a two point it is a Mark VI go to

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

WRONG!!! The Super Action was available until 1980 when it was replaced by the Super Action 80!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Wrong Wrong Wrong the Super Balanced Action was the largest bore that selmer ever made . With the advent of the markVI smaller bore and Marcel Mule's desire to create saxophone quartets it was imperative that the four horns from Soprano to Bari have the same timbre for homgeneous sake . Selmer lost this during the mark VII era and even later . This is why they are still producing the Serie II ,,,sop alto & tenor ,,,,because they have as of yet not made a serie III Bari and quartets need to blend perfectly . As a matter of fact this was one of the main criteria in the design of the Serie III family when completed the horns will have the same pedigree This is something that Conns do not have since Jazz has little use for this

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Officially, it's serial number indicates it's a mark VI horn using a Mark VI bore. It's number preceeds the Super Action 80, and Baritones and soprano MVI production continued through the Mk VII era until the SA80's introduction in 1980. This horn was made in 77' or 78'.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Johnson, I trust your information. I know that the Mark VI was introduced in 1954. I also know that the SBA was still available for a few more years. I looked at an SBA tenor a couple months ago that was a 1956 model according to the serial number. It was clearly an SBA and not a Mark VI. I played with a guy a couple years ago who had a 1977 Selmer tenor that he called a "Super Action". Not a Super Balanced Action, or a Super Action 80; just "Super Action". It looked similar to the SBA, and I assumed that it was just a later series of the SBA. Can anyone who knows more about Selmer than I do shed a little light on this one?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

was it a Paris Selmer? if it was your friend is in error . 1977 Bari is a MK VI see

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It was a tenor, not a bari. and yes, it was a Selmer Paris

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Does anyone know when Selmer dropped the SBA or Super Action? For how many years after the introduction of the Mark VI did they produce the SBA?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Well ebackus what does it say on the ring that attaches the bell to the bottom bow it should have a MKVi or MKVII either way it would be a MarkVI

Reply To Post

10. by ebackus
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

hmm... what do you mean by "the ring that attaches the bell to the bottom bow?" i dont believe that i see anything written on it...

Reply To Post

11. by ebackus
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

ok, i looked it up and now am sure what the ring that attaches to the bottom bow is, and there is nothing written on it.

Reply To Post