Saxophone Forum

by rhino2104
(15 posts)
19 years ago

King Zephyr

I currently have an opprotunity to buy a King Zephyr tenor for a descent price, but it isn't in playing condition. I was wondering what everyone's opinions about them are.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: King Zephyr

The Zephyr is a good horn, but when you say "isn't in playing condition" that scares me. That sounds like complete overhaul to me. My advice is to take the horn to a technician and get an estimate on getting it into playing condition. If you are ok with the cost that it will take to rejuvenate it, buy it. I hope it works out for you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Good advice Terry. A lot of the used horns that you'll find are going to need some repair, so I wouldn't get too discouraged about having to spend a few bucks to replace pads, or maybe a broken spring and a couple corks. The horn is probably worth the cost of the overhaul, as long as there is no damage; broken keys, major dents, missing key guards. It would be a good idea to have a tech look at the horn, so you have some idea what it's going to cost to have the horn repaired. If you are buying from ebay, make sure you ask lots of questions if not stated in the ad; like "Is the action free?" "Are there any dings or dents, broken/missing keys, missing keyguards, or broken springs?" "What is the condition of the pads?" Good Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by rhino2104
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

I appreciate the feed back from both of you. I know enough about repair, and when I say that it isn't in playing condition I mean that most of the pads are pretty much shot and there are two broken springs, but other than that it is in pretty decent shape. Again, thanks for the information.

Reply To Post