Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

help on transposing

Attn: Sax Experts Any of you have a transposing chart you can share with me? Frequently, while playing church tunes on Sunday, the keyboard player will lean back and say "C" or "E" to indicate an upcoming key signature change. This does not help me at all, since the piano and guitar are in a different key. Fortunately my improvosation skills kick in and I can wing through the song. Are there any transposing charts available? Any helpful hints?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by spottspidermunki
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: help on transposing

order a ferree's tools catalog. i know it sounds odd, but the book has a detailed transposition chart on the back. its free, and they're pretty quick to get it to you. plus, u see all of those cool tools you wish you had. check on the internet as well. should be something there somewhere. also, i'm sure someone's already said this, but if u know 1 concert pitch on the horn, you can write out your own chart, and you have a greater understanding of the topic. have fun!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by martin-instyle
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

How far is Eb to C ---a minor third that's what you ned to lower the key for alto and any Eb instrument How far is Bb to C --same idea you need to raise the key If the piano plays in F you need to play in ????? G for tenor and in D for alto also make appropriate changes to the accindentals

Reply To Post

1. by tee196
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

so, im having the same problem if i need to transpose a song in the key of C and I play Bb tenor Sax, i need to go up one step correct?? Ex: if the song in C says to play a G i play an A correct?? Just makin sure i have this right. Please Reply. Thanx

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

You're right This is how I do it If a piano is playing in C, and you're playing a sax, think of the interval between C and the key of the sax, for example, C- Bb=1 step down, so the sax would play a step up. The scale for the sax would be D major (2 sharps) For Eb, you do C- Eb=1 1/2 step up, so the sax would play 1.5 steps down, in the key of A major (3 sharps)

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

I had the same trouble which is why I'm buying a C MELODY but I do have a chart. How do i get it to you?

Reply To Post

2. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

3. by ajarvis
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I'm having a bit of trouble transposing from 2 sharps... (D major or B minor?) I need to make the song a little bit lower so that I can comfortably sing it for a local competition. The song is 'Hello' by Evanescence. Could someone help me out?

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

There are software options out there that can scan music into your computer, and then you can transpose it, and print it out. However, you would want to keep it attached to the original in order not to be infringing on copyright. (This also works nice if you have the computer play it for you in several keys to see which one works best before printing it, although for your pianist's sake, I don't recommend seven sharps.) The easiest way is if you have a keyboard that transposes. Set it down a couple of steps and you're set.

Reply To Post

5. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

any specific software recommendations??

Reply To Post

6. by yanytenor
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I can transpose at sight - it just comes with practice. You can't get too hung up on an A still being an A. As for the key signature (other people have explained it properly I know). An alto (Eb) add 3 sharps to the key signature and a tenor (Bb) add 2. For a Bb instrument you need to go up a second from written pitch (one note) and Eb up a sixth or down a forth.

Reply To Post

7. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

i also am able to transpoe by sight, or ear...lot of improv comes from what u explained: guitar player says "E Minor" and we have fun. anyways, for software, i highly reccommend Music Publisher... www.muspb.com they have a free trial download on their site and the software itself is like $150 if i recall. Totally worth it. There's a cool scan feature (MPScan) that lets you scan in sheet music and u can have it transposed to any key you want. It even has midi playback and preset features that are really handy. I use it now & then to help prepare the horn section for tunes if they don't already know them. Helps out a lot with the new guys. anyways...that's my 2 pennies

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by yanytenor
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I recommend Sibelius 3 - it's a really useful package... unfortunatly unless you're doing a music course or want to do stuff proffessionally it's really very expensive (£250+). It does have scanning and all sorts. The only worry is that often when we have tried it at college that it does not pickk up the notes properly - therefore yoy may have to put it in by hand, which is more time consuming. I recommend that you download some and find one that suits your groups needs. (i.e. Sibileus for composing but there are a host of others for midi sequencing)

Reply To Post

9. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

thanks but that's way out of my league! I tried music publisher but got my US postbox will keep looking!

Reply To Post

10. by yanytenor
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

You might be able to get an earlier version - which are still pretty good and will do the job. Although I'd look around first, otherwise you may buy Sibelius but not really use it to it's full potential when you could have brought a cheeper one. You can always write it out by hand.....

Reply To Post